Boot Camp

Jenni123
on 8/24/09 9:59 am - orlando, FL
 I was talking to the guy who works at the Y today.  I need some guidance on weight training and toning.  Granted I still have 80-100 more to lose but want to try and reduced the sagging skin as much as possible so wanted some guidance on weight training.  However not sure I can afford a personal trainer.  He suggested a boot camp type class.  It is $125.00 for 4 weeks twice a week for an hour.  Also you can go for free to the other guys boot camp which is also twice a week for an hour if you want.  Do you think this would be beneficial.  He did say he uses alot of free weights (which I have never really used) takes you outside to roll tires etc etc.   I also like to do Zumba but would have to cut that back to one day a week if I take this class 2-3 times a week.  I would also have to cut my walking/running to one day a week.  My current routine is twice a week 2 miles on the treadmill (working on increasing to 3 miles), weight training (one day arms the other day legs and abs) and then Zumba 2-3 times a week.  I am pretty clueless on the weight training and if I am really doing enough.  Thoughts suggestions?  The other option is 100.00 for 2 hours of personal training that I could break up into 4 half hour sessions if I wanted.  I have lost about 80 pounds so far.    
Linn D.
on 8/24/09 11:37 am - Missoula, MT
I haven't actually done any classes like that, but this is my philosophy on exercise...

I believe in exercise as a means of a healthy life.  Cardiovascular exercise is the most beneficial to the body as a whole so should be done on a daily basis.  Strength training is also important, but more for maintaining strength and bone and only really needs to be done twice a week.  Weight-bearing exercise is necessary for bone health. 

My thought on personal training is that many of them rely heavily on strength training exercise and neglect the emphasis on good cardio work so you have to be careful about who you choose.  I do cardio work with good intensity 6 days a week and of those 6 days 4 of them are running.  I don't weight train like I should (once a week when I'm good), but I understand it's value and am better about it when I'm not actively training for events.

What you do depends completely on what you're interests are and what you're willing to pay for.  Exercise is generally NOT the determining factor in weight loss, but necessary for good health, so try to approach your workout regime as though you'll be doing it for the rest of your life.  Some of us will just have worse skin than others.  That's just the way it goes.  I need some PS, but it hasn't happened yet and probably won't for a little while.  However, if you're staying active and working out, your skin will be better than if you didn't regardless of the exercising you do.

That's my 2 cents.

Linn
Waterwench
on 8/24/09 12:08 pm - portland, OR
Go, Linn! I've definitely got the Ba-Donk-a-Donk going on when I run, not to mention a substantial abdominal pooch of skin, but it's not going to stop me getting out there! If I had $20,000, I'd probably put it down on a house rather than go for a nip/tuck. Now, if I won the LOTTERY, on the other hand.... LOL!
Duane1064
on 8/24/09 8:47 pm - Bloomington, IN
Our WLS support group leader goes to Bootcamp and really likes it.  She says it gives her a great workout and accountability.  I think she does it two days a week.  I've thought about trying it but all of my burners are full right now, maybe in the winter.

Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
t_r_l
on 8/29/09 2:50 am - blue springs, MO
I actually do bootcamp 3x a week, its the best and worst class ever.  I love the workout but everytiime i do it, i think to myself, why oH WHy do I torture myself... i say do it. you will learn to love/hate it.  I wouldn't give up bootcamp for nothing.

Carol S.
on 9/19/09 9:32 am - Milwaukee, WI
I know this is an older thread but I did one in July.  I paid $80.00 for two times a week for a month an hour each session.  There were about 10 of us.  It was perfect.  I could not have afforded a one on one with a trainer.  It really jump started my workouts and weight loss.  You will not regret doing it, but you may regret not doing it.
Most Active