T-Rex Triathlon and House Repairs

saxman007
on 8/22/09 2:49 pm - Port Huron, MI
Wednesday was the third and final in a series of weekday evening triathlons.  It was great to be able to measure our progress through the summer.  Unfortunately it was a little bit of a bummer of a race for me.  The swim: water was 82* and I actually overheated a couple of times out there.  For my 70.3 I never did a recovery stroke so between no wetsuit and the HO****er I put up a very UGLY 18' swim (I was hoping for sub 16).  Bike 25:04 and run: 28:12.  Bike was 20 seconds slower and the run was 20 seconds faster.  My transition times were slightly faster as I was only 1 minute slower than last month (with a 2 minute slower swim).  The plus side is I felt GREAT on my run.  I kept myself slow for the first two miles and actually had a kick at the finish line.  
On the flip side, I've had some mold in my house and I thought it was going to be a somewhat simple repair. Well, it appears that my roof has been leaking for probably 6-7 years and the damage was extensive!  They removed my fireplace/chimney (where the leak was), the entire outside wall, and about a 6x8  foot of floor and roof.  As a result of all this I haven't been able to get the training time in so I wasn't terribly surprised with my lack of improved times in the triathlon.  Hopefully things return back to normal early next week.  I do look forward to doing a nice run tomorrow and then hit some trails in Northern Michigan on Monday morning
Seht
on 8/22/09 4:47 pm
Sorry to hear about the house.  I hope the repairs are a straight forward process.
Hopefully you will get back on your schedule as soon as you would like.

Congrats on the improvements you had.  With those distractions, you still did a great job.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

saxman007
on 8/22/09 11:23 pm - Port Huron, MI
 The contractor is a friend and is really good friends with one of my good friends so I'm in good hands (if you could follow that!). He's the guy most of the high-end home owners hire to do their remodels and such.  It looks like insurance should cover most if not all (especially with my contractor trying to keep it down for me) so I'm hoping.  Straight forward it hasn't been.  The destruction was pretty amazing, especially since my home is only around 14 years old or so (I've owned it 4).  BUT, we're at the end of the destruction phase, they've got the floor back in and the roof done.  I'm getting all new recessed lighting throughout the house (since insurance is going to be covering the paint job nows the time) and I think the end result will be nice.  
Again, I'm in good hands!  Any other contractor and I'd be really worried since the job just kept getting bigger and bigger.  

Linn D.
on 8/24/09 4:38 am - Missoula, MT
Nice job on the race!  It IS nice to see the progress.

So sorry about the house issues.  I'm living in a remodel nightmare.  Everything we were going to do has ended up requiring major reconstruction because things were done either poorly or wrong when they built/built-on.

Glad you've finally discovered the leak though.  This too will pass...

Linn

Most Active