OH expert says exercise is useless?

Bette B.
on 8/23/09 12:49 pm
That guy is evil and he must therefore be annihilated.

DAMN, Waterwench. How do you REALLY feel?

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

JeremyGentles
on 8/27/09 1:27 am - Johnson City, TN
That's interesting.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS
ObesityHelp Exercise Physiologist

Seht
on 8/23/09 10:39 am
It's not just him, I have seen several articles recently that have said the exact same thing.
Some say exercise has a reduced roll in helping to lose weight that ultimately it is the amount of calore intake that matters.

I believe I even posted one or two of them in the past.
I don't believe it and I'm not going to quit exercising.  I know it works for me and that's whats important.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Bette B.
on 8/23/09 12:41 pm
I don't believe it and I'm not going to quit exercising.  I know it works for me and that's whats important.

I agree!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Scott William
on 8/23/09 11:34 pm
Like Dan said, there must have been something taken out of context.  I would be the last one to support Jeremy but when this board was upgraded to its current state, he championed himself as the Exercise Board modirator and he did have some good advice for people.  I was under the impression that he would be around helping people but he must have more improtant duties like chasing people off the men's forum.

When I train for marathons, I ganin 10-15 lbs.  It has happened every time.  The simple truth is that if you burn more calories than you take in, you lose weight. - exercise or not.  Those who exercise are more likely to be sucessful post ops.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
MacMadame
on 8/24/09 1:19 pm - Northern, CA
"When I train for marathons, I ganin 10-15 lbs. It has happened every time. "

I hear something similar all the time on the Tri boards... people training for Ironmans (and sometimes Half Ironmans) and gaining weight.

It definitely happens and for all sorts of reasons.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

JeremyGentles
on 8/25/09 8:20 am, edited 8/25/09 8:21 am - Johnson City, TN
Times change and so do job descriptions. I am still around helping people....talk to a number of members via pm, phone and conferences. Most of my work lately has been building the Health Tracker, of which will include a robust exercise tracker in the next couple of weeks.

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS

JeremyGentles
on 8/25/09 5:05 am, edited 8/25/09 5:40 am - Johnson City, TN
Hello Bette,
I will answer this in more detail later this evening but I wanted to povide some level of clarification.

I did not in any way shape or form say that exercise is useless after WLS. Quite the opposite actually. I did however talk about how significant caloric restriction, such as that experienced after weight loss surgery, changes what adaptations and the degree as which some adaptations occur with exercise. One of the things I do cover is getting people's focus off weight loss when it comes to exercise and instead focus on other measureable benefits such as strength, endurance, blood pressure, redcutions in mortality rate, reductions in cardiovascular disease risk, and a number of other health variables. Caloric restriction is by far the single most powerful method for weight loss.

I have placed a link below so you can check out the information I presented in Seattle. It is pretty apparent that I spent far more time discussing items not associated with weight loss during my presentation than I did talking about actual weight loss. It is also evident that I talked about a host of benefits associated with exercise after weight loss surgery which is entirely different than what has been conveyed to you previously.

Like I said, I will come back later this evening and clear up a few other things but I hope you have time to take a look at the presentation.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/fitness/cmsID,16712/mode,c ontent/a,cms/

Jeremy Gentles, MA, CSCS

Most Active