First Tri race report (PTC Sprint TRI)

mcarthur01
on 8/22/09 5:38 am - Cumming, GA
I competed in my first tri today at the PTC Sprint TRI in Peachtree City, GA.  What can i say, it was a great experience, and i'm definitely hooked now.  I live an hour north of Atlanta and had to get up around 3:30 AM to make the drive down to Peachtree City to pick up my packet etc.  So with my nerves and the early morning wakeup, i only had around 3 hours sleep.  Luckily, I didn't really notice any fatigue until after the race.

The swim was my first OWS (I didn't even get the chance to practice one prior to today).  The organizers did a good thing, in my opinion, and seeded each athlete by their reported average 100 time and only allowed 2 in the water at a time separated by 5 seconds.  This spread the field out well and i didn't have a nightmare wrestling match in the water.  The swim was about a third of a mile and i completed it in a little over 10 minutes, my swim rank was 24th out of 84 in the clydes division.  I didn't practice transitions and my T1 was pretty slow @ 3 minutes.

On the bike i felt great, i had to have passed about 100 or more riders on the 14 mile course and was only passed by maybe 3 or 4 people.  The course was slightly hilly, but no major climbs.  It was much flatter than the hills that i train on and it showed in my effort.  I finished the bike segment with an average of 21.3 MPH and a div rank of 22 out of 84.  T2 was better at a little under a minute and a half.

The run was ok but not great and i definitely was feeling the effort of the day on mile 3.  I gutted it out and finished the 5K w/ an average pace of 9:16 for a div rank of 34 out of 84.

Final place was 30th out of 84 in the clydesdale division and 357 out of something like 955 overall.

What a day, I was overcome with a wave of emotion about 10 minutes after i finished and had to find a quiet place to reflect on what a ride the past 10 months since my surgery have been.

Official results are found here:  http://results.active.com/pages/displayNonGru.jsp?orgID=216352&rsID=82799
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Darrell H.
on 8/22/09 6:52 am - Sinton, TX
Awesome, awesome job. Great times all the way around.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/22/09 9:16 am - Fort Worth, TX
Nice race bro! Congrats on joining the ranks of Triathletes, it's so awesome... I am sure this is the first of many tremendous races you will conquer, and great splits on all disciplines! I have never heard of THAT many Clydes in a race! Even Ironman Buffalo Springs 70.3 had like 30.. THat's crazy! Anyways, congrats again and you are doing awesome!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/22/09 9:22 am - Fort Worth, TX
BTW I am doing the Augusta ,GA Ironman 70.3 Next month... You should come out and volunteer and hang out, that would be awesome...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

mcarthur01
on 8/22/09 10:53 pm - Cumming, GA
i'm going to look into this, sounds like it might be fun to volunteer... i'll let you know

Seht
on 8/22/09 12:08 pm

Congrats on completing the first triathlon.

Awesome job.

Have you already picked out your next race?

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 8/22/09 12:49 pm - Missoula, MT
Sounds like you had an awesome race!  Great job!

I'm sure there will be many more in your future.

Linn 
MacMadame
on 8/22/09 1:26 pm - Northern, CA
Great job!

Time to sign up for a few more...

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

saxman007
on 8/22/09 2:40 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Great Race!!!!  There are addicting aren't they?
mcarthur01
on 8/22/09 10:48 pm - Cumming, GA
thanks all...

i am signed up for two more this season, one on 9/19, and one on 10/4, they are definitely addicting!

Most Active