leg cramps while sleeping

thorr159
on 8/19/09 1:17 am
Or while trying to sleep. Anyway I'm still a little over 300 pounds after starting at 430 back in Feb.
Here is what I have been doing:

Sun: 30k ride.
Mon: 4 mile walk
Tue: light 15k ride
Wed: 4 mile walk
Thur: 20k ride with large elevation gains
Fri: 4 mile walk
Sat: 4 mile walk

I'm getting these cramps every night about the same time 0100-0200. I have been doing some light stretching before and after all workouts. Maybe I'm missing something in my diet? Any advice?
mcarthur01
on 8/19/09 1:53 am - Cumming, GA
this may not be the solution, but make sure you are hydrating... i can get leg cramps in my sleep if i work out in the evening and not hydrate enough before i go to bed.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

panhead58fl
on 8/19/09 2:03 am - Barboursville, WV
Exhaustion, dehydration or electrolytes "sodium and potassium" could be a cause. Drink a sports drink after wards and/or eat a banana. Before I do long runs I eat foods with more salt. I sweat out a lot of salt, it will be caked on me after a long run. When I don't get enough rest I tend to get cramps.

pan head
Laura the Future
Pin-up

on 8/19/09 3:32 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 07/27/07 with
I get leg cramps due to my anemia and poor circulation.
HW: 366, SW: 342, GW: 165, Maintaining at: 185 (No longer tracking weight loss. Pregnant and due May 1, 2011!)

There are two primary choices in life; to accept conditions as they exist, or accept responsibility for changing them.

Duane1064
on 8/19/09 8:12 am - Bloomington, IN
 I agree with Panhead.  The cramps are usually due to a lack of potassium in your diet.  Kiwi's, Bananas are good for potassium.  Hydrate with a sports drink too....and keep on stretching.
Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
thorr159
on 8/19/09 10:42 am
I'm gonna start having a glass of powerade zero after my workouts and see if that helps. I work outdoors all day so I drink quite a bit of water anyways. Anytime the humidity gets over about 25% I start to feel like crap. I cannot wait till the fall.
(deactivated member)
on 8/19/09 9:59 pm - Grand Rapids, MI
25%? That has to be awesome. I'd kill for that! www.cityrating.com/cityhumidity.asp I start to fall apart around 95%.
Sherry_Berry
on 8/19/09 8:48 pm - Dacula, GA
People always say potassium and sodium and hydration.

They also keep forgetting about magnesium and calcium.

a magnesium supplement at night will help immensely!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/22/09 11:24 am - Fort Worth, TX
Could be a symptom of "Restless Leg Syndrome" as well. But yeah to what Sherry said, and all the others, also be sure to take B-12! Best of luck
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active