I want to RUN??!!

tuckermn04
on 8/18/09 12:43 pm
I know, I'm questioning my sanity too, but I have an urge to try jogging.  I'm currently walking 5 days a week for 45 minutes.  I've tried jogging a bit here and there, and I jiggle- A LOT!  And it hurts.  But I'm also not wearing a very good bra. 

Where would I find some good, supportive, workout clothes??  I'm thinking a stretchy tank top and maybe shorts to wear under a t-shirt and jogging pants.  Any suggestions on a brand or a store or website to check out?

I need a 38 DDD bra and wear a 16/18 in normal clothes. 

Thanks!

Melissa
MacMadame
on 8/18/09 4:36 pm - Northern, CA
Try an Enell. They make the larger sizes and so does Juno.

Also try the Couch-to-5K program. It's awesome.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

mcarthur01
on 8/18/09 9:18 pm - Cumming, GA
i had the same issue when i transitioned from walking to running (continuing to today due to loose skin issues).  i use underarmour compression shirts and underwear and my problems were solved.  i'm not sure if underarmour has decent gear for women, but compression gear is definitely the way to go.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Linn D.
on 8/19/09 12:17 am, edited 8/19/09 12:17 am - Missoula, MT
I agree with trying an Enell bra.  This is what they were designed for and I've heard lots of good things about them.  I don't know where you can find them in stores, but many websites that sell running apparel will have them.  I know I've seen them in on roadrunnersports.com.

I'm not quite as large, but I still use a good bra (I pay $45 for mine) as well as a compression tank with a built-it bra.  I don't look the best because I have skin hanging out the back, but it keeps the loose girls at home pretty well.

I have loose skin in the belly region as well which is one other reason I use the compression-type tank tops.

Good luck with your new adventure!  Running is cool.  By the way, I used a program similar to the couch to 5k that people talk about and it worked wonders for me.  

Linn
Waterwench
on 8/20/09 4:22 am - portland, OR
Woman, I know just how you feel! I checked out all these cool blogs of runners who are also battling weight issues and they all totally ROCK!

I got workout clothes from Target. Their firm support black workout pants are perfect for running, to reduce the jiggle factor. I also got several Champion jog bras with maximum underwire-type support, though my boobies have severely shrunk in size! I used to be 52DD, now I am a 36B. Oh, how the mighty have fallen! (Literally. Without my underwire, I am a 36 Long). But still, I like the maximum support because it decreases soreness and nipple chafing over long distances.

I'd been kicking around the idea of trying running for at least 6 months before I got the guts to find a beginner's program and just go for it. Now, three months later, I run about 21 miles a week. I am hoping to stick it out for the year so I can begin training for the 2010 Portland marathon. But who knows? It may just be an awesome way for me to keep fit, get even fitter, enjoy life and develop faith in myself.

Can we do it? Yes, we can!!
tuckermn04
on 8/20/09 8:42 am

Thank you all for your suggestions!  I'm going shopping this weekend. 

I did my first couch to 5k workout last night- I'm a little sore today, but not too bad.   I'm ready for round two tomorrow!

Linn D.
on 8/20/09 8:53 am - Missoula, MT
One other thing...

When you try them on, don't be afraid to jump up and down in the dressing room and look very carefully at how much movement you have.  I did that when I got my triathlon suit, and am really glad I did.  I ended up getting a size M bra and L tank for the least amount of jiggle.

Linn 
Most Active