Bad workout and it's effect

Seht
on 8/17/09 7:35 am
I'm training for a 1/2 marathon and I have 6 weeks left until the race.
Sunday was supposed to be a 9 mile run, and I just couldn't do it.
To date my longest run has been 8 miles successfully without stopping.
I made it 2 1/2 miles then had to start walking.  I alternated 1 mile runs and 1/2 mile walks until I finished the 9 miles.  I had been making progress, but this is a bit of a setback.  Now i'm starting to worry about not being able to do the 1/2 marathon distance.

Every other week between now and the race, my long runs/miles are supposed to increase.
with the alternating weeks being fewer miles but they also increase.
7 miles
10 miles
8 miles
11 miles
9 miles
12 miles
1/2 marathon

So does a bad workout cause any additional stress, or is it to be expected.  I'm starting to doubt my ability to cover 13.1 miles without stopping.  Especially since I went and rode my bike over the 1/2 marathon course and there are some decent hills, which is going to make it that much more difficult.  I need to go into this run with a positive attitude and coming up short on my run is not doing it for me.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Serenity08
on 8/17/09 8:48 am - NH
 So what's the worse that can happen?  You walk some and run some on the 1/2 marathon.  I know I'll be doing that on mine in 12 weeks.  
I have 2 goals - 1 fini****
                              2 keep up a 15/minute mile pace
                               3 I'll be esctatic if I maintain a 13 minute pace (what I usually do on 5k's right now).

Just think of where you were at this time last year.  Anything is an improvement.

Another thing I'm doing is every weekend - I'm taking half of the course and run/walking it so I get used to it.  As the weeks go by, I'll increase my time/length on the course.  

Is it possible for you to do that?

Good luck!

Serenity

Seht
on 8/17/09 9:13 am, edited 8/17/09 9:14 am
I know I can walk it, but that's not my goal.
We have had the walk vs. run vs. walk/run discussion before.  There is nothing wrong with walking and running or any combination of that, especially if that is your part of your plan or race strategy.  But it's not what I signed up for this event to do. 
I don't expect to win anything, but I do want to run a 1/2 marathon.  I don't even care if someone were able to walk the whole event faster than I can run it.  What I want to do is put myself under the stress or effort level of a run for the duration of the event.
I can see walking the aid stations and or the restroom stops if those are necessary.  I already know I can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time.  I almost drown myself trying to drink while running, and eating on the run, hah that is even more pathetic.  So I plan to stop long enough to swig down a cup of water then run again.

I do plan to pre-run the course.  I have ridden it on my bike to get a view of what it is like and there are several good hilly sections, so that is adding to my anxiety.

Scott

Serenity08
on 8/17/09 10:30 am - NH
 Well - when at first you don't succeed - try again.  I see that your next long run is only scheduled to be 7 miles - how about you increase that this week?  Trying to brainstorm -- but I don't have a lot of experience as you know.

A good site to ask how to get back on schedule might be the coolrunning forums.  Or if you are following a specific training plan - that training plan website discussion forums.

I know that you've set your mind to do it and with that attitude and the adrenaline of race day - I'm sure that you will make your goal.

Serenity

Seht
on 8/17/09 10:49 am
Thanks for the suggestions, I really don't expect a solution, just wondering how bad workouts effect others.  I know I have been told that I am too hard on myself, but this race is on my 42nd birthday and I want it to be a good day. 

I was also kind of wondering if there was a make or brake date.  How long into this training plan before I know if I can do it or not.  I have a call out to my coach, but I like to poll the people here too and see how they are doing and what they would do in a similar situation

Scott

BigCityGirl
on 8/17/09 10:57 am - San Diego, CA
I ran in a couple of marathons back when I was in the Army, twenty years ago.  The training was staggered and on alternating days building up to a high of 15 miles one day a week.  There is a problem with over training -  I was told by the Army trainers to avoid running every day.  Also, I did carbohydrate loading before these races - I ate a whole lot of carbs - a lot more than I could ever eat today given the size of my very small stomach. 

One thing about running a big race, you get very motivated with all the other runners. It's a lot different than running alone. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
kypdurran
on 8/17/09 11:55 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hey Scott.  I understand and feel your pain.   Watch to make sure you aren't overtraining man.   If you have to walk during your training sessions to keep your heart rate in your zone then do that.   Your body will eventually adjust and before you know it you'll be able to maintain longer and longer times running in that zone.  It sucks and I know it's a hard pill to swallow but it honestly may help you.   Are you training by HR now or just going out and doing a set distance?

Seht
on 8/17/09 10:14 pm
Right now it's just distance.  I'm just trying to get up to the point where I can run the whole distance.  Next step will be improving it.  At least that's the plan for now.

Scott

Linn D.
on 8/17/09 12:01 pm - Missoula, MT
Scott,

I was told this a while ago and I believe it.  If you can run 10 miles, you can do a half marathon.  The first one I did, I think my longest was 9.5 miles and I managed to finish just fine even though I needed a couple potty stops.

So, what I'm trying to say is you still have plenty of time to get the long runs in and be more than ready for the race.

Training for my last marathon, my longest run was only 16 miles.  That was a tough one, but was still able to run all but about a half mile of it (not including walking the water stops I drank at).  I agree that it's a very mental game, and that your desire is the final determining factor.  You want it.  You'll do it!

Linn 
panhead58fl
on 8/17/09 1:26 pm - Barboursville, WV
Hey Scott,

Every body has bad days. I wouldn't get to stressed out. If it's been hot and humid where you live like it's been here that will have a big effect on your performance. If it was me I would shoot for 9 miles again.

What has helped me more than any thing has been my garmin watch. I can never keep my pace on track, on long runs I tend to run to fast. I feel more comfortable running at a faster pace but if I am going to do a marathon I have to learn to maintain a steady slower pace.

2 years ago 10 minute miles were fast now that is my long run pace. I can run and hold a conversation if I want to. Are you doing speed work? Run fast for 200 or 400 meters then slow down to a jog or walk to get the heart rate down then do it again. Do that for 3 or 4 repeats then do it again a little faster.

Last winter I did this on a tread mill one day a week. Then one day I would crank the tread mill up to 6 % grade and do 200 or 400 meters. Then lower it for a slow recovery jog or walk and go at it again. That is what I did for hill work outs. This will really help your stamina. It will make the long slow runs seem easy. At least it did for me.

pan head
Most Active