First 5k

NkyBelle76
on 8/17/09 6:29 am - Union, KY
RNY on 11/29/05 with
I filled out my entry form to run my first 5k ever!  I'm nervous, as I have never been a "runner" but always wanted to begin.  I work out and am active but this feels like a big step.  So any helpful hints or words of wisdom would welcomed! 
Seht
on 8/17/09 6:42 am
Congrats!
Keep that excited feeling, this is a big deal and should be enjoyed. 

Watch your pace, it's very easy to get caught up in that excitement and take off much faster than you are used to running.  You find that you surge forward with the pack.  If this happens you might find yourself getting tired before you would normally expect.

Have fun

Don't change anything you are doing now.  If it is working for you now, it will work on race day.

Have fun

Do you know the course?  Do you have time to go and walk or run it before the actualy race?
That can be very helpful and calming.  There won't be any surprises for you on race day.  You don't want to find any surprise hills on race day if you can help it.

Have fun

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

NkyBelle76
on 8/19/09 7:24 am - Union, KY
RNY on 11/29/05 with
Thanks!  I am super excited, mixed with nervous.  I don't know the course as it's 3 hours from where I live.  But I'm more concerned with finishing vs doing great.  I'll save that for future times, right?!?
Linn D.
on 8/17/09 11:43 am - Missoula, MT
None of us here were runners until we took that first step.

Find a plan that works for you, and you'll do great!  Lots of people also do walk/jog repeats.  Anything is game.

Linn 
saxman007
on 8/17/09 2:14 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Helpful hints;  HAVE FUN!!!!  There's nothing like your first and hopefully you'll find it to be a great experience.  You'll then get addicted and start entering them often!!!  
Take things one step at a time and remember the finish line is your goal. One person's horrible race is another person's race of a lifetime!!!  The thing that I love about them is nobody out there cares about your result, they want to know HOW you did and to cheer each other on.  
Keep us updated with your progress!
(deactivated member)
on 8/18/09 1:01 am - Grand Rapids, MI
My first 5K was the Riverbank Run about a quarter mile walk from my house in May of 2007. The next May, on my 40th birthday, I made that walk again and ran the 25K. Well, ran might be a strong word, but I finished that sucker. 2008 was a good year

images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/724560/albums/16532/2 008.jpg

I don't worry about how fast I am, just finishing. I figure if the winner is so hot he'd have biked the up to 30 miles to/from the run right?
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/18/09 2:55 am - Fort Worth, TX
I have 2 predictions.... 1) You are going to have a blast.... 2) you will immediately look for the next one you can register for.   Have fun, don't put pressure on yourself, train hard and smart...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active