Nov. 1, Marshall Marathon

panhead58fl
on 8/16/09 2:08 pm - Barboursville, WV

Sunday Nov. 1 will be my first marathon. Been running for almost two years, ran the half marathon last year in 2 hours. Thought about doing the half again but I would really like to say I have done a full marathon. One of my favorite mottoes is "no guts no glory", so we will see what happens.

pan head
Cassie W.
on 8/16/09 8:09 pm
You'll be bathing in the glory come Nov. 1st!  With two years of running under your belt, you know what it's going to take to prepare for Marshall.  Have you chosen a training plan, yet?

Best of luck to you.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

panhead58fl
on 8/17/09 12:53 am - Barboursville, WV
Thanks,

I haven't sat down and mapped it out yet. I did look at my logs from last year when I ran the half. I was training for a marathon in Miami on my birthday in Jan. The half was in Nov. and worked right into my training. Got up to 18.5 miles on my long run and just didn't have the money to do it. I think l I used a plan from Runners World's web site.

I run usually 4 to 5 days a week. I am thinking I am going to keep it at 4, having 1 day for a long run, 1 day speed work and 1 day hills. Then a light and easy recovery run one day. Last year I had a gym membership and was running every night on a treadmill. I think I was not giving my self enough rest.

pan head
Rob S.
on 8/16/09 9:22 pm - DE
Good luck.  You'll do fine, as long as you start training soon.  That's the hard part, the marathon is just the icing on the cake.  Find a partner or running club to help you through the training.  It makes a world of difference.
Rob
panhead58fl
on 8/17/09 1:51 am - Barboursville, WV

Thank,

I like to run with other people every now and then, but for the most part I prefer to run by my self. My wife says I'm like that about every thing. My dad taught me to be independent. He was that way, also very private. The first one to help some one that needed it ,but never ask for help.

I think that is what I like about running, it's just you. For me it's about that point in a race where you say to your self that your just not going to make it and you need to stop, but you keep on going. I tell my self just relax and keep picking them up and putting them down. I like the solitude. There are times when I do a long run and when it's over I really couldn't tell you what I was thinking for that hour or two. When I run I don't think about work or problems sometimes I will listen to music but it is just for a distraction. If I don't have my mp3 player I will get a song stuck in my head and hum or sing it over and over mainly to keep my pace steady.

I did run with a guy the other day that said he was a commercial pilot. We had a good conversation while we ran but don't know if I would want to do it every time.

pan head

Seht
on 8/17/09 6:46 am
Congrats, and best wishes.

A Marathon still seems like such a big deal to me.  I am amazed at what everyone here is doing and attempting.

I'm sure you will have a wonderul experience.  Go get em.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

panhead58fl
on 8/17/09 7:25 am - Barboursville, WV
Thanks, Scott

It's a big deal to me. One thing I have noticed in the couple of days since I singed up. I have a new enthusiasm for running and and just life in general. I have a new goal, something to work toward.

I remember when I got to my goal weight, it was anti climatic. I had a "what do I do now" kind of feeling. After being focused on that goal for so long I hadn't even thought about what I would do when I got there.

Enjoying the excitement of a new challenge. Don't know why I am so blessed, but thankful!

pan head
Seht
on 8/17/09 7:43 am
Exactly.  Hitting my goal weight was exciting for a day or two, then I was in the now what phase.
It is definitley harder and not as exciting trying to maintain my weight as it was getting here.

Even though I'm not a huge running fan, signing up for these events gives me something to look forward to and focus my attention on.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 8/17/09 11:37 am - Missoula, MT
Very cool, Pan Head!  I'm sure you'll have a wonderful experience.

Linn 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/18/09 2:58 am - Fort Worth, TX
You will have a blast. finishing my 1st mari was a memory I will always cherish
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active