I'm Still Alive!!!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/16/09 7:25 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Guys,

So I thought I would chime in about my workout yesterday. WHAT AN AWESOME RIDE!!! I started in Norwalk and pedalled south to San Clemente / San Juan Capistrano. It was a little over 50 miles each way. It was about 14 miles before I hit Pacific Coat Highway in Long Beach and would stay on that the whole ride south. I have never been on PCH beyond Huntington Beach and I assumed it would be relatively flat with some gradually small climbs and false flats. Um, Yeah, I was wrong.Once I got into Dana Point, Laguna hills, MOnarch Beach I was faced with some SERIOUS climbs coming in and out of canyons along the shore. It's funny how hills don't bother you when you find yourself starring off at the crashing waves instead of just focusing on the hill in front of you. I felt awesome the WHOLE ride. It was 75 degrees, overcast and 3MPH of wind, does it get better than that? Last Saturday in Texas, it was heat index of 105 and I went through 4 Camelbaks, 4 bottles and 2 32 OZ Gatorade bottles and was still so dehydrated I almost passed out. Yesterday I went through 1 1/2 Camelbaks, peed 3 times ate 2 gels, 2 bananas, 3 Salt tabs (Enduralytes), and some sports beans and MY NUTRITION WAS MONEY!!!! That part of my game is dead on now! I ended up riding a hair over 105 miles and honestly could have probably ridden another 40-50 miles and felt great. I averaged 18.9 MPH for the entire ride, and by far has been the longest and STRONGEST performance yet. I think having 4 Centuries in the last 6 weeks under my belt has given me supernal confidence! On to the run...

I got back to the house, changed and headed out for the run. Yeah, my legs felt like crap, but there's not much you can do about that. About 1.5 miles into the run I started getting a weird feeling in my knee and was a little nervous about that. I immidiately turned around and headed for home to avoid an injury 2 weeks out from my "A" race of the year. My fitness is solid, when it comes down to race day, it is just going to be about mind over matter. My legs are going to hurt no matter what, I am not going to give up no matter what, and I will try to enjoy every minute of it especially crossing the finish line! 

I have not nailed any of my bigger bricks, however, having completed 2 full marathons in the past 9 months in under 4:25:00, I have confidence in my ability to finish strong. 

Here's to a good tapper and a strong race. I have some decent workouts planned for tapper, but the bigger volume training sessions are in the books, and I am going to tear it up in Louisville. After this race I have 2 more HIM's and  a marathon to close out the year. What an incredible year in my life, what an incredible journey this has been, life is so good. On a side note, A HUGE THANKS to my Surgeon Dr. David Kim www.drdkim.net . Not only has he sponsored me for all my Ironman entries and Tri Bike, he is taking care of my travel and expenses while in Louisville, he is the best! I have been so fortunate to be surrounded by such good people, including all of you here. VIVA LA VIDA!!! I have some really cool pics to post in the next couple of days. Have a great weekend....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Sherry_Berry
on 8/16/09 10:08 am - Dacula, GA
Awesome report dan!
saxman007
on 8/16/09 11:01 am - Port Huron, MI
 Jealous of that ride, sounds fantastic!!!!!  
Here's to hoping Lousiville is more like what you just experienced versus the typical Texas heat you're used to!!!!
Enjoy the taper and stay relaxed, you're gonna be money during your IM!
--Sax
Darrell H.
on 8/16/09 12:15 pm - Sinton, TX
That sounds amazing. hat is this I hear of a ride in 3mph winds. Didnt know those existed. Great job and tear it up in Loisville. Like I told you before, I am voluneering at IM Longhorn 70.3. I believe I am going to ask to be on the bike with my friend who owns Jack and Adams Bikes in Austin. They put on an awesome tri, but you definately get to take on a full 140.6 first. Take care
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Linn D.
on 8/16/09 12:57 pm - Missoula, MT
Cool, Dan!

Maybe one day once I'm out of school again...

Linn

Rob S.
on 8/16/09 9:26 pm - DE
Great ride.  It sounds like you have it down.  Good luck on the big one.
Rob
mcarthur01
on 8/16/09 11:44 pm - Cumming, GA
sounds like a great ride, good work my friend...  good luck with the taper, and give em hell in louisville!
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 8/17/09 1:36 am
That sounds like you had a good day.  I'm heading down to San Diego this week myself.  Unfortunately I won't have the time for a bike ride.  I'll be lucky to get some work done in the hotel gym after hours.

I haven't done any rides in So. Cal, but I know the rides up north are beautiful.  Unfortunately a lot of the roads around the coast up here are not bike safe.  Very narrow switch back roads with a long drop down to the water below.

Good luck with the upcoming race, I know you will kick butt.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Hawgman
on 8/17/09 2:08 am - TX
You are an animal. 

Good luck at Louisville!!

Darrell
kypdurran
on 8/17/09 4:02 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Sounds like a fun ride.   Can't beat the weather in California and as far as hills go, hah, PLENTY of 'little' hills in that state.   I know because I think I rode most of them at Wildflower.

Best of luck in Louisville.

Most Active