Opinions about treadmills

Darrell H.
on 8/13/09 10:56 am - Sinton, TX
Ok, as I have posted, yesterday I joined Golds Gym. Since this one has a 3 lane 25 meter pool, i decided to go ahead and do it. I really enjoyed doing my speed workout on the treadmill. I was able to keep the correct pace and finish the workout. I also did a 30 minute recovery run on it today. At first I was a little concerned about running on a treadmill thinking I would bust my butt, but I actually enjoy it. I dont know how many long runs I will get on it since I love running outside and plus long runs are on Saturday and I dont want to drive 40 minutes to the gym unless I am going to Corpus Christi any ways (like days I work) I use the great chart that Scott posted and run with a 1% incline. How do you all like treadmills?
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Linn D.
on 8/13/09 11:13 am - Missoula, MT
I run on them all the time.  I think I'd like getting out, but if there isn't a potty when I need one, I'm in big trouble.  One other reason I like bigger races - they nearly always have plenty of them on the route.

The big drawback for me is that I get REALLY hot when I run.  If the big fan isn't available, I can't do it inside.

Linn 
playwithzoe
on 8/13/09 12:29 pm
I really like doing HIIT - interval sprinting on the treadmill but for longer runs i really only like outside.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

saxman007
on 8/13/09 1:47 pm - Port Huron, MI
 HATE THEM!!!!!!!  Just can't get used to running on them.  They really through of my balance.  I'm sure if used them for speed work and the interval training programs on them I'd find them very useful.  I don't have a problem running in mild rain and 10* weather though!

Seht
on 8/13/09 2:42 pm
I use them, but I don't like them.  It is never as hard on the treadmill as it is outside.  So when I run inside, and I do x  miles, it always feels so much harder outside.  Even when I use some incline.  At least for me they give me a false sense of accomplishment.  However when the weather turns bad, they are a nice thing to have.  They eliminate the excuse factor.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

kypdurran
on 8/13/09 10:57 pm - Baton Rouge, LA
Hey Darrell.   I run outside as much as I can but I have 2 specific workouts a week that I have no choice but to run on the treadmill.   It doesn't bother me as much as it used to because I never feel like I get as tired as I do running outside.  Scott's advice of setting it to 1% grade is right on as that's a half-ass simulation of pavement.  
mcarthur01
on 8/13/09 11:41 pm - Cumming, GA
i can't run on a TM, mostly because it makes me feel claustrophobic and i have issues maintaining a decent stride/balance...
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Vampi
on 8/14/09 1:04 pm - Mandeville, LA
I HATE TREADMILLS!!  I have one and I barely ever use it.  The only time I use it is when my running buddy drops out on me and I HAVE to get a workout in after dark.  I really really really dread getting on it.  Everything seems to take three times as long as it would outside.  I can't run and concentrate on the TV for some reason.

I would rather run in the heat of the Louisiana swamp where all I do is sweat and swallow the occasional bug than run inside on a treadmill! 

Can you tell I don't like treadmills?  LOL 

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

Scott William
on 8/14/09 11:42 pm
If I have a choice, I'll run outside but from December to March, I usually hit the TM.  My stomach hange over my pants and gets numb.  Also, I don't have much room on my roads to begin with.  Adding some snow makes it impossible.  I just find it easier to hit the TM. 

I have done 3 - 18 milers on treadmills over the past few years while marathon training.  It is kind of wierd running on a treadmill for 3.5 hours.  I kind of see the treadmill as necessary but if I lived in a warm weather climate, I doubt that I would ever use one.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
lbsadropping
on 8/17/09 9:17 pm - Crofton, MD
Newbee here.  Never posted on this forum, however willing to give it a try.
Working out at Golds gym in Crofton, MD 2 hrs 4-5 days week.  Melting fast.  I dont run, bad knees, but this is my routine
40 min tread at 7% 3.5 mph
Weight machines 30 reps 4 chest and back machines
200 crunches
30 min eliptical level 35
25 min stationary bike level 13 random
No pain just passing time in the afternoon and burning 1000+cals

My best and most fulfilling exercise is casual biking around DC , area battlefields, and  MD's Eastern Shore.  I dont like trail and rail rides. Same trees, bushes etc.. Like the sightseeing.

Within 35lbs of goal and not in a hurry.  Just noticing that I can breath better and my pant sizes are changing is reward enough for me. 
Good luck  
Most Active