Totally TMI - especially for the Exercise Board - but I really need help!

PamelaDV
on 8/12/09 9:35 am - Apex, NC
Ok - so let me forwarn you - this is totally TMI - but I don't know where else to turn.

Runner's Trots

If that grosses you out - read no further.

Lately, EVERY TIME I run I get about a mile out and I get the trotts.  It's so bad I barely make it back home.  It's awful.  Sometimes I can get back out and do some more miles, but many times I can't and it's driving me nuts!

Does anyone else suffer with this problem?  I have had it every once in a while since I started running in March, but the past 2 weeks it has been almost every time I go out.  I can't get any more than 2.5 miles in when normally I do 5.5 during the week and then longer on the weekends.  

And it's totally messing with my head.

Am I totally alone on this one?

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

Cassie W.
on 8/12/09 11:22 am
Heat, speedwork and foods with higher fat content tend to aggravate my system, so afternoon runs can be dangerous if I'm not careful with my food during the day.

I'd suggest keeping a log of your food for a few days and see if you are able to identify any trends based on what/when you eat and any other variables.

Summer time, I try to plan my runs along routes where I can make an emergency pit stop if necessary.

Best of luck to you.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Linn D.
on 8/12/09 12:17 pm - Missoula, MT
I have big problems with this as well.  Last Friday's long run I needed 3 stops before I even made it 6 miles.  Made it the last 4 after that just fine once I got cleaned out.  Today's run was no trouble, but I ran late morning after I'd had a couple trips to the potty before I even went.  Some of the things that I notice cause problems are fresh fruits and veggies the night before, more food than I'm used to, and like Cassie, high fat foods and milk products can be a problem for me.

Nearly all my speed workouts give me trouble, as does being too hot.  That's the main reason I train on a tread at the gym.  I've had these problems since I first started running years ago and the one thing I can say is at least I'm used to it enough that I can just get back on and finish my runs (most days).

Linn
Waterwench
on 8/12/09 12:48 pm - portland, OR
I try to have a BM before going out running, and to not eat beforehand, which is why my runs tend to be in the mornings. I drink a cup of coffee or tea in the mornings, and that (the warm/hot drink) has been shown to stimulate peristalsis in the gut, helping with elimination. Caffeine can also have an effect, bu****ch the amounts--it can cause dehydration and sometimes diarrhea with WLS patients. 

I hate the feeling of a full bladder, so I pee right before I go out!  I try to know the nearest place with a public restroom along any route I take, just in case! Like this morning, I passed public restrooms at the Fat City Cafe, the local laundromat, the Barbur Grocery, the Starbucks on SW 34th, and Big Al's Gas Station along my 5 mile route. Today I didn't need 'em, but I wanna know where they are just the same!
Scott William
on 8/12/09 1:32 pm
The three things that will bother me are sugar the day before a run, dairy the night before or the day of and thin plastic water bottles.  I had the same problem for weeks before I realized that it was my water that was killing me.  I origionally thought it was poland spring but Nestle also does it.  They are both served on those thin plastlc bottles and I determined that the thin bottles were doing it.
Scott

Link to my running journal
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1303681

4 full's - 14 halves - 2 goofy's and one Mt. Washington!
Brian W.
on 8/12/09 3:11 pm - Belmont, CA
Nope not alone

This is pretty common.  You'll notice that every race has plenty of port-o-pottys!! haha

I do a lot of my runs in the early evening, after work, which I rarely have a problem with.  The morning is rough for me.  For some reason, my body needs to fully wake up and even then, sometimes i'll need to stop.  If I'm going for a Sunday long run like over 9 miles, I'll take some Immodium AD, which seems to work fairly well.  i'm not gonna overuse it, but I'll use it on race day as well since I get way earlier than I'm used to. 

Brian
~350
PamelaDV
on 8/12/09 11:23 pm - Apex, NC
Thank you all for your kind responses.

I also try to make sure I'm emptied out before I go and all of these instances have been morning runs.  But now school has started and so I may need to move my runs to later in the day in order to accomodate my family's schedule.  I wonder if that will help.  I feel like my body is just waking up (so to speak) when I go for the early morning runs and have this problem.  I don't have anywhere that I can make a pit stop as I live in the country.  I try to make loops when I run so that I'm never TOO far from home - but it gets boring after a while.  I have seriously considered putting toilet paper in my fuel belt and just dashing into the woods at times.  That really is TMI!

It's good to know that this may not be unsual for some.  I wasn't having trouble before - this is quite new to have this problem every time I run.  I appreciate all of your suggestions.

pam

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

playwithzoe
on 8/13/09 1:04 pm
My body does much better in the evening than morning, try different times of the day to see which works best for you.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Most Active