Is it the weight , my butt, or the bike!?!?

Vampi
on 8/11/09 12:59 pm - Mandeville, LA
Hi ya! 

Okay, I have started a little biking for my cross training days and I must admit, it is torture on my bottom!  I have a mountain bike, nothing special... I replaced the original skinny seat with a bigger more cushie seat and it really doesn't help that much.  I am still in the weight loss process and have 30 more pounds to go. 

So, does my butt hurts so bad because of my weight.... the bike.... or is it just that my butt needs to toughen up!?! 

I need some good simple advice here.  I can't afford to go buy some fancy $1,200 bike or anything crazy like that.  I just want to ride 10 miles and still be able to walk the next day. 

Some advice, PLEASE 

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

Linn D.
on 8/11/09 1:48 pm, edited 8/11/09 1:49 pm - Missoula, MT
Did you get your bike fit?  That would be my first suggestion.

Do you wear bike shorts?  I do know that when I haven't biked for a while it takes a bit to get used to it again - even when I'm wearing them.

If the bike fits correctly and you're wearing bike shorts, it shouldn't be too long before it's not uncomfortable any more.

Linn 
Vampi
on 8/11/09 9:59 pm - Mandeville, LA
Nope, never got the bike fit.  Honestly, I am just starting to bike so I can crosstrain and give my running legs a break without taking a day off.  What does getting your bike fit mean exactly?  I guess I have to bring my bike to a bike store.  I really don't have any money to spend on buying anything new. 

I don't wear bike shorts, just my running stuff. 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/11/09 2:23 pm - Fort Worth, TX
It's not often I get the opportunity to tell a woman to "Toughen up your bottom" but now is a time I will say that. . I remember doing my first spin class with still about 80 pounds to lose and could not get through more than 20 minutes because it felt like my nuts were being smashed in a vice grip. (Sorry for the expletives). I eventually got used to it, and now I can ride centuries with a tri short on and be ok. Do you have cycling shorts? Those will help. Also, remember it is not "Natural" to seat your entire body weight on a 2-3 inch wide seat, so be patient, it gets better with time....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Vampi
on 8/11/09 9:56 pm - Mandeville, LA

LOL.

Do you think I can toughen up my bottom just riding once or twice a week? 

No, I don't have cyclng shorts.  I just learned that they having padding in them!!  Sounds like this seat thing is a big issue in the biking world! 

Thanks

DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/11/09 11:30 pm - Fort Worth, TX
"LOL" "Do you think I can tougen up my bottom"?

Um yeah... The more you ride the more used to it you will get. Get some biking shorts and do your best. If it does not get better in a couple weeks, do what Linn suggested. Best of luck....
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

BigCityGirl
on 8/11/09 2:31 pm - San Diego, CA
I never got into biking - in or outside the gym because of the seat issue.  I'm at goal weight and my butt really hurts on any type of bicycle seat for any extended (over about 10 minutes) period of time.  I just gave up and turned to jogging instead. 
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Vampi
on 8/11/09 10:00 pm - Mandeville, LA
I just started biking once or twice a week to make sure I don't over do it with the running.  I am trying to use it as my cross training days.  But I am spoiled with running.... all you need to run is a good pair of shoes!  Biking seems a little more expensive. 

MacMadame
on 8/11/09 4:35 pm - Northern, CA
A bigger seat may make it worse. My seat was too big for my butt bones and switching to a smaller seat actually was more comfortable.

I found out my seat was too big when I got my bike fit to me.

But, to some extent, you do have to get used to it, so it might be a bit of that too.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Vampi
on 8/11/09 9:52 pm - Mandeville, LA
I thought about changing back to the older seat and giving that a try again.  I may do that today and see what happens. 

THANKS! 

Most Active