Drakewell Marathon Race Report Sun Aug 9th

Chris S.
on 8/11/09 4:07 am - SC

I did my long run of 20 miles 2 weeks ago Saturday, felt GREAT. KNEW I was ready for this marathon...then on Monday following the long run I came down with food poisoning. 3 days of misery and it took all my energy. I did a short run of 6 miles but it zapped me, so I thought I better just wait till the marathon to run...

I did it!! finished my 4th marathon, in Titusville PA this past Sunday. Great place, the course had its challenges, like mile 2 which was ALL uphill! and around mile 13 the humidity went wayyyyyyyyyyy up. Around mile 23 besides the nausea and headache I was feeling, my whole leg, hamstring, calves AND even my toes!! started cramping.....heat exhaustion. So Out of the last 3.2 miles I probably walked 2 1/2 of them. But I FINISHED!! in 5hrs 15 minutes AND to make it even sweeter (and thank goodness this happened) I come out of the woods and find out you have to do a lap aroud a track. I was DEAD! but my daughters were there and I grabbed hold of their hands and said "help me get around this lap pleeeeeeeeeeeeaseeeeeeee"...so we ran the last .2 of the 26.2 miles together and crossed the finish line together

And for the first time-my Mom got to see me run!! that was a WOW moment for me.

During the course you would frequently pass people (it was a repeat of the course for alittle bit) and everyone would say "good job" "looking good" etc.....except for me it was more like

"Are you OK?"
"Do you need me to get the course medic?"
"Do you always look so white and pale?"

My 1/2 time was 2:17, my 2nd half time was 3hours!! but its funny how things pop into your head. I remember "trust in your training" "listen to your body" from this website and other peoples reports. So-I made the last 1/2 all about the people along the way. I was able to help one gentleman nursing an ankle with some extra advil I always bring, I talked with one man who was running his 67th marathon in 62 months!! and an expert at "Run/walk", talked with a first time runner who's children were at the finish line waiting for her-we helped each other thru the last few miles...the running community is a group of truly nice generous and helpful people!!

Next venture, Sept 20th 2009, a 24 hr race where my goal is 50 miles!!!

And hows this for a possible line up....

9/20 24 hour race

10/10 Hartford CT marathon??

10/24 Ridge to Bridge marathon in NC

11/8 Outer banks marathon in NC.....

still not sure about the Hartford one. VERY flat course, 7 hr time limit, but the travel YUCK! but CT only has the one marathon and I want to check it off for the 50States marathon club

Seht
on 8/11/09 6:11 am
Wow Congrats Chris!!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about the food poisoning, but you did an awesome job running this race.
You have quite a schedule lined up in front of you.  I wish you the best and continued success and dtermination like you showed here.

btw:
I know that feeling of are you o.k. do you need help.  I saw a picture of myself getting out of the water at my first triathlon and when I saw that picture I thought I looked like crap.  I'm surprised they let me continue to run the race.  If I had been a medical person I would have stopped a participant in my condition and checked them out.  I looked like I had a near drowning experience.  Kind of like the swamp monster dragging himself to shore for the first time.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Chris S.
on 8/12/09 1:27 pm - SC
Thanks Scott!

I love your signature quote

And about those pictures...thank goodness for the delete button...or photoshop :)
Hawgman
on 8/11/09 7:26 am - TX
Way to go Chris!!
Good job sucking it up and enduring the pain to the finish.

Good luck on your remaining schedule.

Darrell
Chris S.
on 8/12/09 1:28 pm - SC
Thanks Darrell

Quiting is never an option right!
Linn D.
on 8/11/09 9:09 am - Missoula, MT
Yep, each day/race brings something new...

Great job finishing a difficult race!  Here's to the next one!

Linn 
Chris S.
on 8/12/09 1:29 pm - SC
Thanks Linn!

Its always a new experience isn't it
Cassie W.
on 8/11/09 11:17 am
Congratulations Chris!  It is pretty amazing how we are able to draw strength from the folks who share their experiences on the boards, runners we meet along the way and the family that we know will be proud of us regardless of how long we're on the course.

With your aggressive schedule for the rest of the year, you're going to need us all!  Best of luck to you.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Chris S.
on 8/12/09 1:29 pm - SC
Thanks Cassie, you always say it perfectly!
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/11/09 2:19 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Great job... Sweet Schedule!!! Rest up buddy, you will need it!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active