Dilemma-First Half-Marathon

abgisme
on 8/11/09 10:41 am
You can do it!!!

My husband and I did our first 1/2 marathon  - the Chicago Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon - on August 2nd.  I was concerned about the 3.5 hour time limit, but we finished in 2:43:43 for a 12:30 mile.

I am a power walker who incorporates jogging intervals.  With some practice I have been able to get up to a 12minute mile walking. 

My husband and I debated for a few weeks if we wanted to do the race or not.  Go ahead and make the commitment!  Once you do that the motivation is there to work for it.

We were thinking about the 1/2 marathon in Columbia, SC on Nov. 7th (we used to live there).  Indy is a lot closer for us.  Maybe we will see you there.

Ashley
Duane1064
on 8/11/09 11:01 am, edited 8/11/09 11:07 am - Bloomington, IN
 Ashley, it sounds like you kicked butt.  Congrats.!!!!  My wife and I are so stubborn and competitive that if we set out mind to something we will move heaven and hell to get it.  I think that's what's going to happen with this half-marathon.

We went to our local running store this evening.  It's the Indiana Running Company.  We got properly fitted for our running shoes.  They did a gait assessment and really took their time to select just the right shoe.  The salesman offered to be our coach for this event.  We just may take him up on the offer.

If you and your husband do decide to do the Monumental Marathon in Indy let me know.  We'll show you the Hoosier Hospitality that Indiana is known for.   

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
abgisme
on 8/12/09 10:05 am
Will do. 
Here are a couple books you and your wife may like:
The Nonrunner's Marathon Guide for Women: Get Off Your Butt and On With Your Training
by Dawn Dais

The Complete Guide to Marathon Walking
by Dave McGovern
Sherry_Berry
on 8/12/09 1:16 pm - Dacula, GA
The ING GA course has something similar. Basically, you CAN take the full marathon time to do the half...I'm sure the cutoff is at a certain time b/c the course splits and rejoins somewhere.

Sounds like fun. GO FOR IT!
Duane1064
on 8/12/09 9:28 pm - Bloomington, IN
Tha't our plan.  We're going to take on the challenge and have fun doing it.  We did 5 miles last night at basically the 15 minute per mile pace.  That really eased my concerns quite a bit.
Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
Most Active