5K Report from Sat

panhead58fl
on 8/11/09 2:34 am - Barboursville, WV

Haven't been running as many races this year, lots of reasons but this is a small one that started last year and I want to see how many years in a row I can do it. Plus it takes place in Chief Logan State Park which is like a mile from  where I grew up.

Any way, I had a good race. The course starts with a slight incline for about quarter a mile or so then a turn around and back to where you started, then to the right on a road that parallels the one you were just on, only  with a little more of an incline. the incline goes all the way past the half way point. You run to the end of it then the road circles a camping area. This is the steepest part, come down from there and another right turn and circle another camping area, up hill again. From there it's all down hill. Over a mile but not sure how far. I set my garmin for a 7:50 pace. Started off a little faster than that but over all maintained a steady pace. I did it in 24:27, which comes out at 7:53, very happy with that. Not my fastest but 2 minutes faster than last year.

The best thing about it was all the younger racers that were behind me. The bad thing was the guy in his sixties that ran a two or three minutes faster than me. Got first place in my age group again this year, and this year there were other guys in my age group besides me! I placed 16th over all out of 60 some.

Don't get me wrong it's not about the two dollar trophy, it is about the fact that three years ago I was well over 300 lbs. and now I can run and I am healthier than I have ever been in my life.

Most races around here I would have to run 21 or 22 minute range just to place in my age group.
But I am proud of that two dollar trophy.

pan head

mcarthur01
on 8/11/09 3:05 am - Cumming, GA
wow, great result and time!  i can only hope to get times like that some day.
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Linn D.
on 8/11/09 3:17 am - Missoula, MT
Sounds like it was a fun run!  Great job on the improvement.

It's really tough to get hardware around here as well since the athletic community is really large and I'm not that fast.

Linn 
Seht
on 8/11/09 3:51 am
Hell yeah, that $2.00 trophy deserves a place on the mantle.  That sounds like you had a great race.  Congrats!.

Some day I hope to be able to run at that pace.

Keep up the great work.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active