What's on your feet?

Seht
on 8/10/09 2:13 am
Yes, I only wear my running shoes for running.  They are expensive enough as is without wearing them down with every day use.

Here is a snippet from an article on running shoes:

How long your running shoes will last will depend on a number of different factors. There is no simple answer in terms of miles or months which is reliable for all runners. There may be a few general rules of thumb for how long a pair of running shoes will last but many runners will find themselves in need of a new pair of running shoes either before these generally accepted rules of thumb while other runners may find they do not need to purchase a new pair of running shoes as often as other runners. This article will take a look at some of the commonly accepted criteria for purchasing new running shoes but will also examine factors which may contribute to the need to purchase running shoes either more frequently or less frequently.

First we will examine typical mileage values for how long running shoes will last. The generally accepted consensus is runners will require a new pair of running shoes every 300-500 miles. This means a runner who has purchased a new pair of running shoes recently will require a new pair after he has logged approximately 300-500 miles on his running shoes. This distance is best gauged by keeping an accurate training log whi*****ludes a section for accumulated mileage. The runner may record the amount he has run each day but should also keep a running total of the total distance he has run since he purchased a new pair of running shoes. This will make it easy to see when the runner is approaching the threshold of the range of 300-500 miles which typically signifies the need for a new pair of running shoes.

The information obtained from a training log will be useful for determining how much mileage a runner has put into a particular pair of running shoes but he should also be cognizant of how the running shoes feel and how well they are performing. In keeping a training log, a runner should also note how well he feels after each run. For example a runner may begin to experience shin or knee pain on a regular basis after he has run approximately 250 miles on a particular pair of running shoes. This type of information may indicate this particular runner needs to purchase new running shoes more often than the average runner. If pain and discomfort are beginning to become a regular problem, it might be worthwhile to try replacing the current running shoe to see if there is an improvement. In maintaining training logs over the course of several different pairs of running shoes, a runner may notice a pattern of developing a need for a new pair of running shoes earlier or later than the typically accepted 300-500 mile range.

Time is another indicator which many runners use for determining when they need a new pair of running shoes. The general consensus here is running shoes should be replaced every six months. However, this is generally considered to be just a rule of thumb and some runners may find themselves replacing their running shoes every four months while others may find they only need to replace their running shoes every eight months. The need to replace running shoes is generally not a function of time but rather a function of how many miles the runner has run in the shoes. However, the consensus indicating the replacement of running shoes is necessary every six months is actually loosely based on mileage. A runner who runs approximately four days per week and runs approximately 3-5 miles per day falls into the category of a runner who will be running approximately 300-500 miles every six months. However, it is important to note runners, who do considerably more mileage each week will likely need to replace their running shoes much more often than every six months. For example marathon runners who may be running in excess of 50 miles per week would likely require a new pair of running shoes much more often.

By now it is clear that one of the driving factors which contribute to how often a runner may require a new pair of running shoes is the amount of mileage they put into the pair of running shoes. However, it is not uncommon for some runners to find that there is a need for them to replace their running shoes significantly more often than others. Some of the factors which may contribute to this need may include the weight of the runner as well as the running style of the runner. Runners who are significantly heavier than the average runner may find the increased weight causes them to need new running shoes more often than their lighter counterparts. Similarly, runners who typically strike the ground harder than most runners may also find they need to replace their running shoes more often than most runners. However, most runners will likely find that maintaining an accurate running log will be one of the most useful tools for enabling them to determine when they need new running shoes.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

panhead58fl
on 8/11/09 12:44 am - Barboursville, WV
You can go to different sites on the web and find out a lot about what kind of shoe you need. Do a self diagnosis if you will. That is what I did and then went to a running store and they confirmed what I had thought. They did not video me but they did watch my gate walking and them put me on a treadmill and watched me run. Had me to try on three or four different shoes and try them on the treadmill. They told me if it wasn't raining the would have had me to go for a run down the street. I ended up buying Brooks. They felt the best. I bought my first pair at the running store. Once you get a pair of shoes that you like, look on eBay. I found some good prices and bought a couple of the exact same model at a good price. If I want to try the latest brand or model I go back to the running store and give them a try and buy them there. If they end up being good shoes I may then go on the web to find a better price but in the long run you may pay a little more at a running store but the service is worth it. I have one pair of old ones that I keep at work to walk in. I have five pair at the house that I rotate wearing. They are different models. One I like wearing on gravel, one I like better on pavement and one pair is lighter and good for shorter distances or a race. Good shoes are worth the money. When I started running I had an old pair of Rawlings that were probably ten years old and when I would run my feet would hurt. Bought my first pair of shoes and couldn't believe what a difference it made. Just be warned running can get addictive.

pan head
Most Active