What's on your feet?

MyQnA
on 8/9/09 10:28 pm
Hi All,

I am not new to the board but, I lurk more than I post.  I have had a minor issue arise from my return to running.  I have a shin splint oddly in just one leg but no issue, the Dr says it is because I am wearing the wrong shoes and as long as there is no pain I should be fine but, to wear the proper shoes.  So, anyone want to share what their experience has been with shoes and what they recommend.

***FYI*** I currently only wear New Balance sneakers and I wear them nearly every single day for both my weight training, and running....if it matters I think they are designed for walking.

Thanks in advance for your help.

~Maxine

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. 

saxman007
on 8/9/09 11:39 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Maxine,
I'd HIGHLY recommend going to your local running store and getting fitted for running shoes.  It's important to have good quality/properly fitted shoes for running.  The other thing you'll want to do is keep those shoes strictly for your running sessions.  A running shoe is only good for 400-500 miles and then you'll need to retire it.  They may look fine but their cushion and support will be shot.  Personally I use my use running shoes as my tennis shoes to try to stretch the $$$ and things work well for me.
Asics/New Balance/Newton/Nike/Addidas -- they're all good.  It's what fits you best
MyQnA
on 8/9/09 11:59 pm
Thanks for the info...I didn't have a clue abotu the life of them....I just wear them until they look like I need a new pair.  But, ok! 

DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/10/09 12:05 am - Fort Worth, TX
Def go to a running store and get your running analyzed to determine if you pronate or not, etc... They will video you running on a treadmill usually and will make a recommendation based on that. I personally have no arch in my feet, I have always had flat feet, and folks with flat feet are more prone to shin splints. I do pronate when I run and require a Stability shoe to help with that. I run in Asics Keyanos and absolutely love them. Good shoes are not cheap, but it is the best investment you can make when it comes to running. Best of luck...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

MyQnA
on 8/10/09 12:13 am
It is not likely I will find a running store with such equipment here.  The best I can do is go to a store similar to Dicks in the states it is called Decathlon.  They basically have a little bit of everything for fitness but not a specialty store.  But, thank you for your feedback!

Linn D.
on 8/10/09 12:37 am - Missoula, MT
I don't know how far away you are from a running store, but another good source for information would be a local cross-country coach or a running club.  I also have low arches, and at first was wearing a stability shoe until I got someone to watch me.  I DON'T pronate like most with low arches, so I was put in a neutral shoe.  They work much better for me.  I also don't like the super cushy shoes, but that's a matter of preference.

Another option would be to try Road Runner Sports.  They have an online store and an 800 number so you can call in and ask about appropriate shoes for your foot type.  The only problem with that is that it's hard to see your own foot strike.  On the plus side, if they don't work for you, you can send them back.

By the way, my favorite running shoes are Brooks and Asics.  They just feel good on my feet.

Linn 
MyQnA
on 8/10/09 1:52 am
Thanks for the website....has lot's of interesting stuff!

Seht
on 8/10/09 1:07 am
Definitely a running store, and a real one, not one of the outlets would be your best bet.  One of my local stores does video of you running on the treadmill, they play it back and critique how your foot is landing and make a recommendation based on your foot strike of the ground.

But if that isn't an option for you, get some shoes that are labled as running shoes, not walking shoes.  You will find a big difference in the weight of the shoes and how they support your foot.
NewBalance is my favorite because they come in 4E wide sizes.  I have also used Saucony and Asics and Avia,  If I can't find the New Balance that I want in stock, I will go with any of those other brands that happen to be on sale.

Be prepared to spend some cash for good shoes.  Unless I can find a good sale, I'm generally looking at the $100.00 plus price range for comfortable running shoes.

The suggestion of talking with the local running group is a great idea, find out what they are wearing, and where they got it.  You may find 1 pair you like and then revert to ordering them online.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MyQnA
on 8/10/09 1:43 am
Awesome idea thank you!  There are several running groups in the area that start around the fall and run until mid December so, I am sure I can join and get soem tips on where they get their gear.

BigCityGirl
on 8/10/09 1:21 am - San Diego, CA
Buy running shoes and replace them often and use them only for running.  I replace mine three times a year.
Surgeon: Joseph Grzeskiewicz, M.D., F.A.C.S.
La Jolla Cosmetic Surgery Centre
Most Active