Help me spend my birthday money (on tri gear)

MacMadame
on 8/9/09 2:19 pm - Northern, CA
I'm going shopping Monday night at the local tri store with some birthday money ($1000) and I'm having trouble deciding what to get. I want to get stuff that I don't necessarily need, but just want because it's cool.
Here are some things I've been thinking about getting "some day" that could be candidates:

1) Kickass HRM made for Multi-sport - can't decide which one though. Plus, I have a HRM already so I don't really *need* this but I want one that will let me time my splits and upload to my computer and mine doesn't do that.

2) Upgrade my bike. Maybe add aero bars, maybe race wheels. I don't think I have enough to upgrade my components (I have Tiagra now), but maybe I could upgrade parts of them?

3) Tanita Ironman Segmental And Full Body Composition Monitor - because it's awesome and I'm obsessed with my body fat percentage. Plus it's a totally unjustifiable purchase which makes it a perfect birthday gift. :D

4) Bike shoes made for triathlons (faster transitions, baby!)

5) Newtons (it's getting to be time for new running shoes anyway - wait, does that make this too practical?)

Anything else you could suggest that would be cool that I haven't thought of.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/9/09 6:11 pm - Fort Worth, TX

If i were you and had $1000 to burn, I would upgrade from Tiagra to Ultegra DEF. Have you ever ran in Newton s? Are you a forefoot striker? My good buddy is a rep at Newton's, let me borrow  a pair of the Stability Demos and they absolutely SHREDDED my calfs. I need t learn how to run being a forefoot striker before I drop $175 on a pair of shoes that will shatter my legs when I run...

You would probably get more speed out of wheels then you would getting Tri specific shoes... 20-30 seconds in transition VS many Minutes on the bike.

What about buying a sweet Aero helmet?

Maybe instead of a new HRM you could drop the money on a Power Tap... It would be cool to be able to measure your wattage output.

What about using that money for an entry fee into a FULL Ironman next year? Maybe a foundation slot and all the SWEET swag that comes with that....

My two cents...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Seht
on 8/10/09 1:24 am
I agree with Dan on the "Race Wheels"  You can shave minutes off your time with a good set of deep dish aero wheels.  But they will probably cost more than 1k unless you get them off of ebay.  I think that when I was pricing them I was quoted around 1500.00 for a decent set of aero wheels.

You can also see benefits just from changing your tires.  Different tires have different drag coefficients.  I have been doing some reading on this recently.  Apparently it's a big deal.

As far as components for the bike go, I am partial to the SRAM-Red gear.  But if you aren't having problems with your shifting or anything like that I wouldn't be inclined to mess with it until you got everything else you needed/wanted.  Besides it is also in that more than you have to spend category.  Probably around 2k off the net, less on ebay, more in the local bike shop.  But then again how often do you score an extra 1k just to spend of goodies.

Hmm, if I got to spend your money.....  these are just wish list items, because they are going to cost more than you have to spend. 
1.  Aero wheels if I could afford them or found a good deal.
2.  SRAM or other high end upgrade.

On to the things that are within the 1k price range.
2.  Aero bars
3.  New tires
4.  1 piece triathlon suit
5.  Garmin Edge 705 with Cadence & H.R. for the bike
6.  Aero water bottle and tool setup.  Something like this
http://www.xlab-usa.com/carbon_wing.html

7.  Since you mentioned being obsessed with your body composition, perhaps paying to have a dunk test done to see what your true fat percentage is.

8.  Vo2 testing.  Find out what you are really burning for calories, or have your Lactic threshold determined / evaluate.

Boy it's fun to spend other peoples money.  And if you just can't decide, let me know, I'll go shopping with you.  I'm sure I could help you spend it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 8/10/09 4:34 pm - Northern, CA
So I went to the shopping "party" and I got .... a book on bike repair and some gels. Sigh.

There were just too many choices.

I almost got the Garmin 310XT but I decided to wait and see what else looked good and when I went back to get it, they'd sold the last one to someone else!!

I am thinking about getting better wheels or a power tap. But I can't get wheels now because I have done no research. I don't even know what kind of wheels I have now. I haven't done any research on power taps either.

I decided I didn't really want aero bars after all. I just think I should want them, I guess.

I'm going to get the scale for Christmas, I think. I'll be doing more working out then. I plan to spend Nov. and Dec. doing a lot of cross training and strength training.

I have to get new running shoes soon anyway so I'll just do it and not use the birthday money. I am mostly a forefoot striker so that's why the Newtons appeal to me. I think they'd get me the rest of the way there and keep me honest when I get lazy about form.

I like the idea of getting my VO2 Max and LT threshold tested though. I was going to ask my PCP to order me a Dexa scan at my next check-up anyway. Osteoporosis runs in my family and is associated with partial gastrectomies so I think I can get insurance to pay for it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active