Want new bike, what's a girl to do?

playwithzoe
on 8/7/09 7:35 am
I just did my first sprint last weekend and have 3 more sprints through Oct, with the next next weekend. I did my first on my 10 yr old hybrid Bianchi alum. Thought it was fast until I tested a road bike yesterday, a Specialized Dolce Elite Compact (@ $1K w/o pedals) and realized how much faster I could go. The guy at the LBS suggested going up to the Dolce triple but it's like $300 more.

I don't want to spend more than $1000 bucks, that is even more than I originally wanted to spend, I'm a BOP/MOP

Performance Bikes is having a great sale on Fuji Absolute Ladies Road Bikes 2.0 for @650 and that would include pedals and shoes. I test rode a model with drop handles and it was ok but not as nice as the Specialized.

Next I rode the Trek 1.2 wsd which I can get for @$820 (no pedals of course), I liked it a lot.

The Trek has Shimano Sora shifters and derailers, the Specialized Dolce Elite Shimano Tiagra everything, the Dolce Triple has Sora. The Fuji I think is a Sora/Tiagra mix too. But I hear Sora sucks and to be sure to get 105's, I just think that is too rich for my blood at the moment.

What's your advice, any others you'd recommend? What's a girl to do?

Thanks for your help.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/7/09 10:08 am - Fort Worth, TX
Craig's List girl... If you have the cash there are some great steals on Craigs List... Who cares if the serial numbers are scratched offf? lol.... Seriously tho check it out...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

playwithzoe
on 8/7/09 1:46 pm
I have and since I can barely change a tire if I buy a bike online will I be able to get a LBS to fit me and service even if it is not a brand they carry?  Is online wise for  such a newbie.  I looked for the Trek 1.2 online and came with with only one option in my size that used '08 +shipping would have only been 150 less than a new '09

U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Seht
on 8/7/09 2:56 pm
Just don't make the mistake I made.
I had a limited budget and I bought what I could afford at the time.  I have since then become disenchanted with my bike and I am looking at buying another better bike right now. 

Don't put yourself in a position where you are settling.  If you need to save or wait, it might be worth it.

Is there a local cycling club in your area.  You might be able to get some good insight into the bikes from them.

How long was your road test.  I know the local trek store will let you take the bike out for a day.  Several of the others will too, but they charge (will refund the charge if you buy a bike from them).

Good luck.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

playwithzoe
on 8/7/09 9:36 pm

I guess it pretty much unanimous (here, on slowtwitch & beginnertriatlete) I should spend more now to get a better bike.  I could get a much better bike online with Shimano 105s or better at bikesdirect.com  What do you’ all think about buying online and any thoughts on bikesdirect?  My boyfriend is good with bikes and could assemble no problem, but would a local bike shop service?

MacMadame
on 8/7/09 4:24 pm - Northern, CA
Definitely get at least Tiagra components. Shifters that don't shift make bike riding a PITA.

Personally, I'd go for the triple but I love hilly courses and sign up for them. Not sure how hilly it is where you are...

My Specialized Dolce Elite Triple has all Tiagra parts though.

The thing is, $300 more than you want to spend is still cheaper than buying something this year and then spending $2000 next year on a better bike!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

playwithzoe
on 8/7/09 9:40 pm
Did you consider purchasing online (not Specialized or Trek but other brands I havn't heard of but my boyfriend has)?  See my reply above.

The Specialized catalog I have says "Sora 9 speed STI shift/break levers and Shimano Tiagra rear derailleur" for the Triple.

MacMadame
on 8/8/09 12:19 am - Northern, CA
The web site says they are Tiagra.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=40611&eid=215

Though they change stuff up every year. Which is another point... the Fall is the best time to buy a bike. If you get last year's model, you can often get a really good deal.

I paid $1200 for my bike and couldn't find any place online that was cheaper than that.

playwithzoe
on 8/8/09 12:38 am
You can't get a better deal online for a Specialized nor a Trek but you can on other brands.  I was looking at this:   www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/gigi_pro.htm.

$995 for Shimano 105s/Ultegra.  I know I can't ride it first but I can return it (but I'm I'll have to pay for shipping).  My bf says Montobecane was considered a very good bike when he was in college (25yrs ago) and he can assemle and tru the wheels etc.  A LBS can take it a step further if needed.  Why not get more for the money?  I know it's safer to ride first but is it worth paying twice as much?

MacMadame
on 8/8/09 4:37 am - Northern, CA
Be sure to add on the cost of a bike fit to whatever their price is. When you buy a bike, the bike fit is part of the service -- or it is most places, anyway. If you buy online, you'll have to pay extra for a bike fit.

Also, check around because I remember reading some bad things about that particular bike shop on BeginnerTriathlete.com. (Though a Google search shows mixed reviews, not all bad.)

Most Active