Have you guys seen this?

Seht
on 8/3/09 8:54 am
http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/Determine_your_centur y_nutrition_plan.htm

How to figure nutrition needs.  The problem for us is getting that all in without dumping or feeling like we are going to finish the race with just 1 sock.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

wjoegreen
on 8/4/09 2:58 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Thanks for the reference.  There were a couple of good articles there I benefitted from reading.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 8/4/09 3:33 am
Yeah I sent the results from my stats for the local century ride and asked her to look at them and give me her opinion of what they were saying and suggesting for nutritional needs during the 100 mile ride.

I haven't heard back yet.  If she approves or doesn't contradict what they are saying, I think it will give me a good starting point to start experimenting with nutritional needs on longer runs and rides.

Scott

MacMadame
on 8/4/09 6:50 am - Northern, CA
Okay, according to that article, I only need to replace 175 calories an hour.... I think that's pretty low. I know I'm expending more like 300-400 and your body can replace up to 300 so why not go for that?

Actually, if they had my real average cycling speed on there, I'd come out even lower. I just used 15 mph as that was the slowest they had.

Anyway, I wonder if this is one of those things where the people on either side of the bell curve aren't going to get as accurate a result?

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Seht
on 8/4/09 7:42 am
You may be right, but You also don't weigh anything, so you are burning less calories than I am doing the same task at the same intensity level.

I love numbers, and anything that I can set down and figure out, so I thought I would compare our numbers for fun.  See how weird I am, I consider playing with numbers fun.

Here is what I used for my calculations.
My weight 188 pounds
The local century ride 100 miles
3300 feet of climbing
I also picked an average speed of 15mph
coefficient 0.0561

(weight *coefficient*60 min) 188 * .0561 * 60 = 632.808 cal/hr
(miles/speed) 100/15 = 6.67 hours
(feet climbed/100feet)22  (3300/100)22 = 726 climbing calories
Total Calories Burned (632.808 * 6.67)+726 = 4946.82936

Not sure why they say 30% for minimum calorie replacement and 50% for max, but here is the info
30% would be 4946.82936 * .3 = 1484.048808
50% would be 4946.82936 * .5 = 2473.41468
If you average them like they did you get 1978.731744 then spread that over 6.67 hours
They say I should replace 296.66 calories per hour.

Now your numbers
Your weight 113
Coefficient 0.0561
Distance 100 miles
Climb 3300 feet
Time to complete 100 miles 6.67 hours
113 * .0561 * 60 = 380.358
(3300 / 100) 22 = 726 climbing calories
(380.358 * 6.67) + 726 = 3262.98786 total calories
30% = 978.9
50% = 1631.49393
Average 1305.196965
every hour over the duration of the ride 195.68

So the calculation is pretty consistant, (if it's right or now, who knows.  I'm hoping to hear back from my dietician soon) you actually get 66% of the calories that I get, but you only weigh 60% of my weight.  So you are actually getting more food per hour than I am.

What it does do is give me a starting point to play with my nutrition needs during a ride or a run instead of just being hit or miss.    Assuming they aren't just pulling numbers out of their arse.

hahah

Scott

MacMadame
on 8/4/09 8:08 am - Northern, CA
I did my Big Kahuna ride which is flat and only 56 miles. I got:
Weight: 113
Co-efficient 0.0561
(weight *coefficient*60 min) 113 * .0561 * 60 = 380.358 cal/hr

Since there is no elevation, I didn't do the whole ride / number of hours to complete and just went with that number for my hourly rate.

I think that number is right, btw. But why multiply it by .3 or .5, that's what I question. That gets me to:

114.1074 to 190.179 per hour.

That just seems very low to me.

On the Infinit site, they say multiply lean body mass by 2. So using Infinit's formula, I get 113 * .82 * 2 = 185.32, which is right in the range of that article, btw.

But our tri coach says to go for 300 an hour and I've read places that most people can only absorb 250-400 calories per hour during exercise. I'm thinking that's why they are saying to go by .3 to .5 because for you bigger guys, you can't replace everything you've burned. But, supposedly, I could if the 250-400 is right, that is.

Seht
on 8/4/09 7:52 am
Here is an explanation on why not to max out calories during exercise.
This article says that because you are Tiny ( I told you you were ) you may need less calories.
http://www.planetultra.com/training/Ten%20Mistakes.html

Improper Amounts of Calories

Too many endurance athletes fuel their bodies under the premise, “If I burn 500-800 calories an hour, I must consume that much or I’ll bonk." However, as Dr. Bill Misner says, “To suggest that fluids, sodium, and fuels-induced glycogen replenishment can happen at the same rate as it is spent during exercise is simply not true. Endurance exercise beyond 1-2 hours is a deficit spending entity, with proportionate return or replenishment always in arrears. The endurance exercise outcome is to postpone fatigue, not to replace all the fuel, fluids, and electrolytes lost during the event. It can’t be done, though many of us have tried." In other words, your body can’t replenish calories as fast at it expends them (ditto for fluids and electrolytes). Athletes who try to replace “calories out" with an equal amount of “calories in" usually suffer digestive maladies, with the inevitable poorer-than-expected outcome, and possibly the dreaded DNF (“Did Not Finish"). Body fat and glycogen stores easily fill the gap between energy output and fuel intake, so it’s detrimental overkill to attempt calorie-for-calorie replacement.

Keep this in mind if you’re doing ultra-endurance events, especially if you’ve had to “alter the game plan" and are unable to stick to your planned hourly calorie intake. For example, let’s say you’ve been consuming an average of 280 calories an hour but the heat or other cir****tances (such as climbing a very long hill) prevents you from maintaining that desired hourly average. DO NOT try to “make up lost ground" by consuming additional calories; it’s not only unnecessary, it may very well cause a lot of stomach distress, which will hurt your performance. Remember, during periods where fuel consumption may be less than your original hourly plan, body fat stores will effectively fill in the gap, thus eliminating the need to overcompensate with calories.

Recommendation:  Intake of 240-280 calories per hour, on average, is sufficient for most endurance athletes. Lighter weight athletes (<120-125 pounds) may need less, while heavier athletes (> 185-190 pounds) may need slightly more. Experiment in training to determine your specific requirements, using 240-280 calories/hour as a base to work from. If you fall behind on your average calorie intake, do not consume excess calories to bring your average back up.

MacMadame
on 8/4/09 10:31 am - Northern, CA
Well that explains why I can consume so little and still be okay.

OTOH, when I tried some Infinit samples that were about 100 calories more than what I normally do, I felt better. I wonder if that's because of the liquid though.

Most Active