Great volunteer appreciation dinner

Seht
on 8/3/09 11:57 pm
If you have never volunteered at one of these events, I really recommend it.  It's nice to see what is going on behind the scenes, all of the work that takes place, all of the volunteer hours.  I will have a ner perspective on racing in all of my future races.

The event staff for the Vineman put on a volunteer dinner last night.  Now I see why entry fees are so expensive.  They had an open bar with beer, wine, water and softdrinks, as well as having commemorative wine glasses, (this was the 20th year of running the race.)  Roast chicken and prime rib, 5 different types of salads, bread, crackers, cheese. 
They also raised almost 80,000 dollars for local cancer support groups.
They had a prize raffle, all of the volunteers were entered.  I scored a spa package good for an hour massage.

I need to remember to volunteer again next year, because they had all the left over clothing merchandise from the expo and it was 1/2 off.  I wanted one of those bicycle jerseys, but decided to wait until next year after I have run the race myself.  I'll have to volunteer the day befor at packet pickup or something like that.  They certainly make the volunteers feel welcome.

The atheletes at the event were great too.  To have someone who looks like they are going to fall over and pass out, thank you for being there, and really mean it was nice.  I had several of them come back after their finish and thank us again.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Most Active