question for you marathon runners

Darrell H.
on 8/4/09 11:45 am - Sinton, TX
How many calories must you take in to help make sure you dont hit the wall. Lets say I burn 3500-4000 calories. Must I have a nutrition plan for the race that replaces all of those calories, half of those calories, or some other amount? I am just wanting to get a plan so as i start increasing my long runs, I can practice my nutrition. Seems like it would be tough to replace 4000 calories in a race.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/4/09 12:56 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Unless you know how to strap on a portable buffet it would be pretty darn tough to take in 4000 calories and make you feel worse than bonking. Look down a few posts to Scott's post "Have you guys seen this".... The same applies for the run. My guess is 300-500 cals p/ hour plus your electrolyte replenishment  should do the trick.
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Linn D.
on 8/4/09 2:16 pm - Missoula, MT
The couple marathons I did, I just took a gel about every 2-3 miles after about mile 6.  I have a hard time eating/drinking because I get nauseous.  Always have.  I could feel fatigue when it was time for the next one, but not like bonking.  I rarely take any when I'm training though.  Don't have a reason why not, just don't think of it.

Our needs are all different, so try some things out as you train.  I'm sure you'll get it figured out.

Linn
Brian W.
on 8/4/09 2:47 pm - Belmont, CA
Hey Darrell

I wouldn't go into the full marathon trying to avoid the wall because you WILL hit the wall.  The key is to train yourself to fight through it.  If you train yourself right, the wall won't come till mile 21 or 22, so once you fight through, it won't be that long till the finish.

As Dan said, unless you have some kind buffet attached to you (hmm possible invention there lol), then you aren't gonna replace all that your burn.  For me, I had a package of sports beans every hour or so, and I also took the gel they had at Mile 15 I think.

The training you do will be your best weapon.  Get those 20, 22, 23 mile runs in and you'll do great

Brian
~350
MacMadame
on 8/4/09 3:46 pm - Northern, CA
Cassie W.
on 8/4/09 8:47 pm
Darrell,

Gastric distress was a problem for me in my first marathon.  It took some experimenting, but the formula that finally worked for me was eating 3 sports beans every other mile.  In between, I'd drink water or G2 for hydration.  I can't do a whole packet of beans at once without a porta-john  nearby.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Most Active