Tri-ing again in 2 weeks any training advice?

playwithzoe
on 8/3/09 11:30 am
So my first sprint triathlon was supposed to be Sunday but due to very foul weather the swim was replaced with a 1.5 mile run and the race was closed down right when I finished my 15.5 mile bike leg.

I really want to do a full sprint triathlon with a swim so my friend and I signed up for another which takes place on Sunday 8/16 (in 2 weeks).  My question is how to train and taper over the next 2 weeks?

I didn't do much last week as it was a full taper.  I didn't do anything today but was planning on going full tilt back into long brick training this week and then chilling out again the following week before the race or at least 5 days prior.  Does this make sense?

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

MacMadame
on 8/3/09 1:59 pm - Northern, CA
This is the principle I was told:

C races - treat like a hard workout
B races - take it easy the week of the race, but don't do a full taper
A races - taper

So you have to decide if the race is just something you are doing as part of your training (a C race), something you want to do well at but don't want to interrupt your training too much (B race) or something you are gunning for (A race).

I'm racing this weekend and it's a C race so I'm not doing anything different this week, as an example.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

playwithzoe
on 8/3/09 2:12 pm
Well I'd like it to be an A race since last Sunday's was a bit of a bust although I did race what I was allowed like it was an A race (1.5 mile run and 15 mile bike) meaning I ran faster than I have in many years I had been running @ 11m 15 sec miles and ran the 1.5 at a 9min pace.  I also sure as heck felt like I biked faster than ever before, I passed many people, but my GPS wasn't working in the rain so I don't know my time or my pace.

Anyhoo, I took today as a recovery day but will hit it hard over the next 9 days (with a couple rest days) and then give myself 2 recovery days before the next tri on 8/16.  Does that make sense?

Then I go into training for the Sept 20th race which is a super sprint so I'm gonna focus on speed for that race.

U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

MacMadame
on 8/4/09 2:51 am - Northern, CA
My C race was my fastest one yet. But it was still a C race.

Also, if you do a series, you can think of the series as one big A race. So you taper for the first one and then just maintain until the last one is over.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Sherry_Berry
on 8/3/09 9:57 pm - Dacula, GA
If it's 2 weeks away and you were prepared for your last one, you don't need a full taper. I would continue your workouts and take it easier the days prior to the race. I think you'll want a good workout this weekend and maybe scale back the intensity the following week.
playwithzoe
on 8/4/09 4:14 am
Excellent, thanks Sherry!

Most Active