What weight to start running?

PplAmanda
on 8/3/09 6:32 am - Benton, AR
At what weight did you all start running? I have just reached a big milestone, but am still a big person. I don't want to seriously injure myself by trying to haul to much to fast

Thanks!
Seht
on 8/3/09 8:09 am
Congrats on looking to begin running. 

Start with walking,
I started at 441 pounds before the surgery.  I still don't consider myself to be running yet, but rather a medium jog, and I'm down to my goal weight.  It hasn't been a quick process for me, but the people here are full of good information and support.  Keep us updated on your progress.
There is a good chance that if you run into a question, someone here has had that same question and may have some good advice.  If nothing else everyone here will cheer for you.

Check out the couch 2 5k program.  They start off very gently and if you don't feel like you can progress to the next week, then you don't.  It's not a race to the finish but rather a means to get there.
There are 2 different sites that have lots of information on this approach.  The second link has some supplimental links that take you beyond the 5k run.  Both are worth looking at.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

&

http://www.c25k.com/

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

MacMadame
on 8/3/09 2:02 pm - Northern, CA
I started running a few months after surgery.... So I was still technically obese. Around 170 pounds and a BMI of around 33.

I did the couch to 5k program and it worked really well! I had never been able to run before that just trying it on my own, even when I weighed a lot less. I really recommend it.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MaryS
on 8/3/09 10:05 pm - Long Island, NY
The couch to 5k is a great way to get started. I started doing running intervals with walking when I was around 230 pounds (I'm 5'6"). I started with about 30 seconds of running.

5'6" - 302/155-158 

Check my success story on my surgeon's website: my story
Check my blog: LosingForLife.com
Ran NYC Marathon 11/4/07 5:27:06

Teri S.
on 8/3/09 10:18 pm - Southeastern, IN
Hey Amanda!

I just started the Couch to 5K program about 4 weeks ago. I'm in Week 3 of the program (did week 2 over). I'm still about 75lbs overweight.  I think if you take it slow and listen to your body you will be fine!

Good Luck!

Teri
Duane1064
on 8/4/09 12:05 am - Bloomington, IN
I've just started running a little bit.  I'm 6'0" and 296lbs.  I'd like to be under 250lbs. before I really start pushing myself too much. 

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
PplAmanda
on 8/4/09 1:40 am - Benton, AR
Thanks for the responses. I just made it under 300lbs at 5'4. I will probably restart the Couch to 5k program in the next few weeks.
Most Active