When did you start working out?

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/09 10:39 pm
Hi All!
I had my surgery a little over 2 weeks ago (7/16) and was wondering when you all took your exercise beyond walking?  I've been walking, on average, 2 miles a day since I've gotten home from surgery and am starting some pool exercise today.  It's crazy how much energy I have...and I even have a 6 month old son that I'm all over the place with!

I know I may not be able to fully work out for awhile, but I'm just curious to see when you all started and what you did...I'm soo impatient!

Thanks!
Jenn - PA
Mifiremedic
on 8/3/09 2:17 am - MI
Here is what I remembered my exercising being after surgery. I think the day after I got home I was out walking twice a day. At about 3-4 weeks after surgery I was in the pool doing attempting to swim. At about the 3-4 week point I was adding more and more exercise each and everyday.

Just be sure to follow what your physician reccomends, and not what we did.

Curt
panhead58fl
on 8/3/09 3:23 am - Barboursville, WV
My doc lifted pretty much all restrictions at 6 weeks.

pan head
MacMadame
on 8/3/09 2:07 pm - Northern, CA
I went back to the gym at 2 weeks and did cardio (stationary bike). I didn't feel like I could really work my abs until sometime after 1 month and before 2 months. (I tried Jazzercise at 1 month and had to stop half-way through the class.)

I can't remember when I started running, but I'm thinking it was at about 6-8 weeks.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

MacMadame
on 8/4/09 8:09 am - Northern, CA
Okay, I just remembered I have record and I checked them and I started running at just over 1 month.

Are your incisions healed enough to get in the pool? Mine weren't at 2 weeks out.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

wjoegreen
on 8/4/09 2:48 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I had open RNY and was told to not do any lifting for 8 weeks at 3 months I increased my walking to 5 miles and at 4 months added jogging.  I did my first 10K at 6 months post-op.  The main thing is not to injure or tear your incisions and let the tissues and muscles heal.  Light motion stuff won't hurt but don't get to anxious and set yourself back. If you feel a tweak or twing, early on, listen to tit and back off.  Fatigue and stamina you can fight to improve.   But I like your aggressive and positive can-do attitude.  
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active