First ever Ironman 70.3 Race report....

Mifiremedic
on 8/2/09 12:33 am - MI
Here is my race report for my first ever Ironman 70.3 which also took place on my 40th birthday. I put this race on my schedule just about exactly a year ago when I found out it would take place on my 40th birthday. I had great plans for my training leading up to this race, but to be honest I didnt follow through with everything I had planned. Not making excuses but I think the change in careers had a lot to do with it.

The race for me began on Friday July 31st while attending the pre-race festitives. I began to doubt myself, because I was around 1,000's of other athletes who were in top notch shape.

Friday- Attended parts of two race talks, walked through the expo looking for cool stuff to buy. I had my eye on Ironman 70.3 Bike jersey and Polo shirt, but decided against it because I was doubting my ability to finish, and then I would Ironman gear that I didnt deserve. Well just before leave the expo decided to go back and purchase them, well wouldnt you know it. All bike jerseys were gone. Uuggghhhhh...

Got back to the race site about 4:30pm, seen people walking theyre bikes towards transition so thought maybe they opened up transition a bit early. Well I thought wrong. Ended up taking my bike to my transition spot, but wasnt able to leave it until security was put in place at 5pm. Visited with a couple people from Triathlon club, and some Facebook friends. 5pm came around, racked the bike, and left.

Saturday morning- Got up around 3:15am, had a bowl of oatmeal, and toast. finished packing the truck. Left about 4:15am for the hour long drive to the race site.

Arrived at the designated parking lot about 5:30am, loaded onto the shuttle buses, and was at the transition about 0545am. I was greeted with a DARK transition. There were hundreds of people with flashlights on their heads, and thousands wishing they had them. Got my tires inflated properly, layed out my clothes and hydration. Had some trouble getting the rear tire inflated. It felt soft, but the gauge on the bike pump said all was fine.

Was kicked out of transition at 0645. Made the mile walk down the beach to the swim start. I was in wave 11, which was schedule to take off at 0800, an hour after the pros kicked off this event. The length of the swim looked daunting, but doable. Met up with my family just minutes before my wave was to begin.

At 0800am, the announcer sent us off on our way, and I walked out into the water a short distance letting the other swimmers get on their way because I didnt want to get caught up in the melee. I got into a nice steady swim stroke, but had trouble finding someone to follow. Either they were swimming slower than I, or not following the same line. The first couple of bouys felt like I was in perfect alignment. However the rest of the bouys I seemed to be off course. I still cant figure out why I was getting so far of course. I think the direction of the current/ waves was confusing me, plus I had trouble seeing the next bouy until I got about half way there. Not sure if I was looking in the wrong direction or something else.

Locally I was taking about 50 minutes to swim 2000 yards (OWS), so I was happy with 43:40, and that included the jaunt from water to transition. The swim time didnt end until you reached transition.

I've always taken my wetsuit off as I exited the water, but for some reason I still had my wetsuit on when I reaced my bike. Got the wetsuit off relatively quick. Helmet on, glasses on top of helmet, socks on, bike shoes on, bib number on, and then I spent about 30 seconds deciding to whether or not to put my bike shorts on over my tri shorts. Well I decided against it. Oh yeah I also put on my Garmin, and it was already telling me, "heart rate high".. Okay I will spend the first mile or so getting it down.

Bike- I walked out to the mount line, hopped on the bike, and was off. My Garmin was still beeping, but I felt good, wasnt out of breath, etc. The first 25 or so miles was good, I was holding a 18 mph average. At about mile 30 is when the wheels began to fall off. It all started with me dropping my accelerade bottle as I attempted to get it in the downtube holder. Oh well I still had two more bottles and my aero cell. Well 5 miles up the road I started to hear some funny noises behind me.It was my saddle bottle holder, it was hanging and about to fall off. I stopped, and then it decided to fall off. The clamp that holds it to the saddle had lost a screw. Well I guess when the instructions says to use lock tight its for a reason. Picked it up off the ground and lay it on my aero bars, it was only about a mile down the road that it decides to fall off, that time I dont stop.

It was about this point in the bike ride that my gut is hurting. I'm getting in a gel about every 40 minutes, along with some water and accelerade. At this point I dont see a finish being in my future. I'm feeling miserable, and hurting, but it was only gonne get worse.

At about mile 40 or so, we were on the final stretch to the finish. At this point I'm only doing about 14 mph. The wind off the lake was taking control of the race and I. I struggle thru the next 14 or so miles. The last hill leading into the race venue was an example of just how brutal the wind was. Just a month ago during the Sprint race at this same venue I was doing 31 mph coasting down that hill, but today I was maxing out at 15 mph, and I was even peddling.

Glad to be back in transition. Rack the bike, change shoes, and shirt, went with a white shirt, instead of the black singlet I normally wear. At this point I feel the need to duck into the porta potty, but nothing.

Run- I walk the first mile or so hoping to get my heart rate down. At this point its all about survival. Quickly my heart rate comes down, and almost immediately my stomach begins to feel better. However it wasnt back to normal, after each aid station it would cramp back up, show who's boss. I get to the beginning of the first loop, and meet up with a guy who is struggling as well. We decide to run for 3 mins/walk 1 minute. He quickly drops me, because my stomach was still showing who was boss. I go through the next 3-4 miles with a little shuffle. Towards the end of the first loop, my gut is starting to let loose, and things are beginning to loosen up. After an assortment of "Toots" I was feeling so much better. I even manage to get in some bananas, and power bars.

Towards the end of the first loop, I meet up with another guy who was running 4 cones and walking 4 cones. Thats what I began to do for the rest of the run. I even managed to catch 3 other guys in the last 1/2 mile leading to the finish.

As I crossed the finish line, a weird feeling came over me. It was almost like I wanted to cry, it was like a bunch of emotion was wanting out. But then just that quick I was back to mormal.

Load up my stuff and head for the truck. I was beginning to cramp up and didnt feel well at all.

Lessons learned: 1) Must be consistent in all 3 disciplines, you cant hide weaknesses in a Ironman 70.3 like you can in Sprints and even Olympics. Must be stronger cyclist. 2) Follow directions when installing the hydration system on saddle. 3) Spend more time swimming 4) Build a plan, and follow it. I've always ate something within an hour of a race start, but this race nothing. Also nothing to drink from the time I arrived at the race.

Conclusion: I'm very pleased to check this off my list of things to do. I honestly only wanted to finish, but had some times in the back of mind for what I think I could finish this race in. Here is what I thought: 50 minute swim, 3 hour bike, 3 hour run. Well I wasnt too far off, but I know with a true training plan I can cut some serious time off next years race time. I need to take some time off and recover then I will work on running, and dropping weight.

I will be back next year. I have something to finish next year. The course won, but I survived.

Thanks for all the support...

Curt
Linn D.
on 8/2/09 2:26 am - Missoula, MT
Curt,

Are you sure you're not my twin?  Now what I say to you today is CONGRATULATIONS!  The course DID NOT beat you.  It was difficult, not pleasant, but YOU STILL FINISHED.  So many people with less fortitude would not.  

Happy 40th to you!  Get over it, and there's always time for the next one.  Sometimes having met a challenge and not coming out of it the way we want or expect is extra motivating.  Great job Curt, and do yourself a favor.  Don't kick yourself anymore (it's not helpful) and relish in the fact that you finished!

Linn
Mifiremedic
on 8/2/09 4:50 am - MI
Linn,

If my report made it sound like I'm kicking myself, thats not correct. I'm very proud to have acheived such a feat, and learned alot about the sport of triathlons and more importantly myself. Sometimes my mind is the biggest obstacle.

I'm already looking at how I can make changes to training regime, in hopes for a stronger 2010. I might do one more triathlon yet this year. Overall, I am extremely pleased with this years season; I finished 5 triathlons (Sprint, Olympic and HIM), and a half Marathon. Other than the Sprint, all the others I'd never attempted let alone completed.

I'm afraid to ask how we may be twins. ha ha

Thanks..

Curt
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/2/09 4:54 am - Fort Worth, TX
First off, congrats on a solid race! Second... Your finishers medal and the Andy Pott's (Steelhead winner) medal are the same. You are a finisher, you did not quit, and you are da man. Recover well, take it easy, rest up and enjoy training for next year...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 8/2/09 5:33 am
Congratulations Curt!  What a hellava birthday party!  I give you a lot of credit fighting through those stomach issues. It's still hard for me to imagine running a half marathon after nearly 4 hours of swimming and biking.  Amazing!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Seht
on 8/2/09 5:43 am
Great job Curt,

Congrats on sticking it out and finishing!

Thank you for sharing your race report.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Markrb
on 8/2/09 8:06 am - MA
Curt,

Congratulations on finishing the race and overcoming the challenges. Happy 40th birthday!
304/256/184/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

saxman007
on 8/2/09 9:57 am - Port Huron, MI
 Great race man -- it was amazing out on that race course, you saw EVERY state from people.  Some were having a great race from the later waves and were just in the race-till-you-drop mode.  Some were just having a great time on the course and didn't mind doing the walk/run routine.  Others were in severe distress.  Just amazing out there -- 70.3 is a HUMBLING distance.  
The swim was interesting for me, maybe it's because I've done my OWS in Lake Huron so it was exactly like my training swims (lucky me huh?).  I saw lots of people swimming diagonally out there.  I think the wave action, albeit small, gave more people a rough time.  I know a couple of times I was literally ON the buoy before I realized I had drifted towards shore.
Hope today's been good -- got to go finish mowing the grass.  The more I move the less stiff I feel!
Great race brother, great race!!
playwithzoe
on 8/2/09 10:25 am
Wow - I can't even imagine do a full Ironman, that's something to be proud of!

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Darrell H.
on 8/2/09 10:34 am - Sinton, TX
Great Job Curt.It is so awesome reading the race reports . It is inspiring and encouraging. I cnt wait till next June when I can join you all in yhe elite 70.3 club!!!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Most Active