My first soggy triathlon - well sort of...

playwithzoe
on 8/2/09 10:42 am, edited 8/2/09 10:49 am
Today I had a blast doing my first sprint triathlon, (the Philly Danskin SheRox) despite the extremely hostile weather. They ended up canceling the swim so it became a duathlon but they closed the race down before we could finish. My friend and I signed up for the "Buddy Wave" (vs. our age group) so we could stick together and it was the last to go out of 16.  They delayed the race because it was thunder storming pre-dawn and they were trying to see if they could get the swim in but no go (replaced it with a 1.5 mile run) and they delayed the start of the race by at least a half hour.  By the time we started it was an hour and a half after that.  We ended up being caught in a massive thunder and lighting storm with torrential rain (I'm talking flash flood, roads closed, electricity outages) at the end of our bike leg and they closed the race down so we didn't get to do the last leg (the 5K).  My GPS quit on me and I didn't get any race times posted so I have no idea how fast I was but it felt like I was going much faster than ever before.  My run definitely was and I passed many people on the bike and only 3 passed me.  When they pulled us off the bike course (raining so hard we couldn't even see and it stung) I was almost finished and I felt really strong which is encouraging.

So, we ended up only doing a short run and the bike ride, not really a triathlon or duathlon, I guess it was sort of a biathlon!  I don't even feel like I burned off my carbo loading Lesson learned - stay in my age wave, us "older" racers get to go early. I can't wait to do another on Sept. 20th at Marsh Creek Lake, PA (Marshman).   I was so disappointed I didn't get to swim because that was my biggest challenge and I trained hard to do it but you can't fight mother nature.  All in all a day to remember and really fun regardless, I'm hooked!

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Linn D.
on 8/2/09 11:19 am - Missoula, MT
Sorry about the weather.  Sounds awful!

Did the race seem to be run well?  I'm doing the one in Seattle in a couple weeks.

Stay hooked!  I've really enjoyed doing them. 

Take care, and here's to the next one!

Linn
playwithzoe
on 8/2/09 1:23 pm
It was my first race so I don't have that much to compare it to, other than a marathon i did in 1998.  It seemed fairly well run.  I wish they would have canceled the whole thing and rescheduled but I suppose that is just too difficult to do.  It was a great bunch of women who participated, really cheered each other on.  I think you'll enjoy it.

U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Seht
on 8/2/09 11:58 am
Congrats!  I'm sorry your race was mostly cancelled, but it sounds like you were still giving it a heck of a go.  Well done.

I wouldn't count on the old racers getting to go first.  Most of the races I have been in the older you are the later your start.  They want the elites and faster athletes out on the course ahead of everyone else.  They don't want them to have to swim through you or run through you etc.

At least that has been my experience.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

playwithzoe
on 8/2/09 1:24 pm
Thanks and yeah that makes sense.  Odd it was reversed at this race, both this year and last.

saxman007
on 8/2/09 12:03 pm - Port Huron, MI
 I hear you on the rain -- my last 3 triathlons have all been wet ones!!!  Getting tired of loading soaking wet clothes/shoes in the car.
Good job i guess and hang in there -- when you do the whole race it's great fun!!!!!
playwithzoe
on 8/2/09 1:20 pm, edited 8/2/09 1:24 pm
Yeah a little rain doesn't bother me but we had thunder that shook the ground, a whole lot of lightning and heavy heavy rain.  All my stuff in transition was pretty much submerged in water.  My cell phone no longer works. 

I'm looking forward to getting a full one under my belt.  The next I planned to do is a super sprint so it's a bit shorter.  I'm looking for another in my area that is a full sprint but not having much luck.

Markrb
on 8/2/09 12:09 pm - MA
Congrats on finishing what the race would allow. Hopefully your next event is under sunny skies.

I can't wait to do my next one which is in September and on the ocean which should be nice.

It is rather addicting, much to my surprise.
304/256/184/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

playwithzoe
on 8/2/09 1:18 pm
Thanks, which one are you doing in September?

Markrb
on 8/3/09 11:12 am - MA
It's the Buzzards Bay sprint on Sept 20th, looks like a good location.

http://www.maxperformanceonline.com/buzzardsbayrace.html
304/256/184/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

Most Active