San Francisco Half-Marathon Report

Brian W.
on 8/2/09 10:07 am - Belmont, CA
Wow I'm really late in posting this, but was a busy week for me

The SF Marathon was July 26th and was actually 4 races in 1.  You could choose from the full marathon course, the 1st half, the 2nd half and a 5k.  I chose to run the 2nd half, which if you are familiar with SF geography is Golden Gate Park down to Embarcadero by the Ferry Building.

Going into this, i set a high goal of breaking the 2:20 mark, it was a lofty goal, but I thought I could do it.  Prior to the race, I have been dealing with a bout of IT Band pain, but have been getting treatment by my chiropractor and stretching it a lot.

I arrived near the start line for the full marathon about 6:15 am and made my way to the bus stop, which would transport me to the 2nd half start.  Buses only ran between 6:30 and 7 am, so even though the 2nd half start wasn't till 8:30, no chance for more sleep for me!

The bus arrived at the edge of Golden Gate Park and dropped me off.  I still had a good 90 minutes to wait, so i used that time to make sure the body was fully woken up, stretched and prepared myself mentally.  I also made my way over to where I could watch the full marathoners and cheered them on a bit.

Finally about 8:25 am, my wave was set to start.  The course was set up so that we merged with the marathoners about 1/4 mile after the start, then there was a detour at the 1 mile mark with an out and bac****il we got back onto the main course again.

The first 4 miles were inside the park itself (its a huge park) and things spaced out fairly well after the initial couple of miles.  My strategy was to go out at a moderate paced and keep things around 10:30 per mile, which is what i needed to break 2:20.

I felt really strong at this point and I came out of the park and onto Haight St heading toward Portero Hill.  From here it was a mixture of hills and downhills as the course zigzagged through the city streets.  I tried to pace myself best I could going downhill, but one was really steep, probably 12% grade.  I was still on pace through about mile 9, but somewhere between mile 9 and 10, I started to get taxed as the course wound its way back down to the edge of the Embarcadero.  Right around Mile 11, I slowed down significantly and walked through a water stop. 

Knowing I wouldn't reach my ultimate goal, i could still set a personal best and got a 2nd wind by Mile 12 that went around the outside of AT&T Park.  Hitting the stretch run, I took whatever I had left and burned toward the finish.  Crossing the mat in a personal best time 2:23:32.  Nearly 90 seconds better than my previous best set last November.

All in all, the race went pretty smoothly and I was certainly feeling the IT Band afterwards. Given the short training time I had, I was satisfied with my performance.

Next up is the San Jose Rock N Roll Half-Marathon on Oct 4th.  I'll have about 8 weeks to train for that.  SJ is really flat, so maybe I can break 2:20 then

Brian
~350
playwithzoe
on 8/2/09 10:19 am
Congrats!  I remember doing the full SF Marathon in 1998 (live in SF for 18 yrs.)!  It took me a looooooooooong time but I did it.  Feels good doesn't it?

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Darrell H.
on 8/2/09 10:31 am - Sinton, TX
Congratulations. Great report and even greater job on the course.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Linn D.
on 8/2/09 11:04 am - Missoula, MT
Nice job on a PR, Brian!

The big races are fun, if you ask me, and it sounds like you really did have a good time as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Linn 
Seht
on 8/2/09 12:14 pm
It sounds like you put together a great performance.
I hope you had as much fun as it sounds like you did.

Good luck with the S.J. race, I hear those rock N roll runs are really fun.  I hope to do that one next year.  I already have 2 1/2 marathons scheduled for October, or I'd be doing that one this year.

Keep up the good work and congrats on the P.R.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Duane1064
on 8/2/09 8:53 pm - Bloomington, IN
Great job!!!!  I know San Francisco well.....lived there for four years.  That city has some great terrain for endurance athletes.  I'd love to get back out there and do some runs....Bay to Breakers maybe?  I always liked working out in the Presidio.  Again, congratulations!
Duane

"Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
I run for those who can't or won't.  I run because I once was one of those people.         
wjoegreen
on 8/3/09 5:51 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Nice job on the pacing, recovery, and strong finish to get  a new PR.  With the hills, I'd say a great run.  Thanks for sharing your experience.
Great motivation to keep me reaching.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/3/09 6:22 am - Fort Worth, TX
Good job bro!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com