New here, workout questions

Melissa H.
on 7/31/09 1:20 pm - Danville, IN
Hello everyone. I am 7 months post RNY and have been working out at a gym since February. I work with a trainer twice a week followed by cardio and then do cardio on my own 1-2 other times a week depending on my schedule. I have seen my endurance increase by leaps and bounds but have some concerns. I am having quite a bit of hip/knee pain following trainer sessions. It usually lasts a few days. Should I suck it up and deal with it (as I do now) or should I be scaling down my sessions? I don't want to damage something.

Also, I've often thought about attending a spinning class, but have been a little scared to. Is there a place there for newcomers who are still not in tip top shape? I don't want to make a fool of myself, but know that it would be a great workout.

Thanks for the advice!!
Surprise MIRACLE baby boy, Noah Andrew, born March 24, 2010

Check out my WLS blog at: www.melissawlsjourney.blogspot.com

Linn D.
on 8/1/09 1:07 am, edited 8/1/09 1:08 am - Missoula, MT
It's important to tell your trainer about your pain.  There may be a issue that should be tended to.  Pain isn't good, it's a sign of something not quite right, which is different from general muscle soreness.

As far as spinning classes go, where you put your resistance is up to you.  How hard you work out is also up to you.  We love to see new folks in our spin classes, but like you, many are intimidated.  All I can say is DON'T BE.  Every one in those classes started from the beginning also and has worked up to their current ability.  It just takes a little time.  Show up a little early and let the instructor know you're new and they'll help you set up the bike appropriately.  DO get some bike shorts because it's a lot easier to get used to, and then just enjoy the sweat!

Linn 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 8/1/09 1:35 am - Fort Worth, TX
I echo what Linn says. Tell your trainer of your pain, and never be scared or intimidated.....just go into the spin class, tell the instructor before hand you are new and need to know how to position the seat / bars for your height etc.... The instructor hould be more than willing to help out. At first, I could only do about half of a spin class because it would just hurt my John Brown "Hind Parts" pretty bad, but I got used to it and it does get better after time. I am able to go a little longer than half of a spin class now thankfully :)
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active