Rough run this morning and new to this board

beckipoohbear
on 7/30/09 2:24 am - AZ
So I have been lurking here for a few weeks now and during my really crappy run this morning, it occurred to me I ought to start posting here since y'all have been there before.  So hello all, it has been really great reading your advice and your struggles over the last several weeks.  I took up running about 4 months ago, and even when the runs suck like this morning, I really love it.  I never would have imagined prior to surgery that I would ever be saying something like that!

Here is where I'm at exercise wise:

Run 3 days/week - 2 to 4 miles depending.  I am using a 13 week walk/run program and I would have been done with it by now but as I was getting to 5+ miles a run, a ran into a foot problem.  Now that I have fixed that, I restarted in the middle of the program and next week starts to ramp up the mileage again.  Here's hoping!

Swim 2-3/days week - minimum 1 mile swims.

Water aerobics - 45 minute class, 4-5 days/week.

I am planning on running 2 1/2 marathons next year, the PF Chang's Rock and Roll in Phoenix in January and the Disneyland 1/2 in September.  Who would have ever thought I would have those kind of goals, this surgery really has given me a whole new life!!

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read and I'm sure I will have lots of questions for all you pros, particularly in terms of supplements and fuel as my runs start to get longer over the next several months.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Linn D.
on 7/30/09 2:36 am - Missoula, MT
Welcome Rebecca!

Yep, we've all been there.  Some runs just suck, and that's all there is to it.  As your fitness improves, though, there will be fewer and fewer sucky runs.

I will most likely be at RNR AZ this Jan.  I've done either the half or the full for the past 5 years.  It's become a tradition.  My parents have a house in Casa Grande, so it's very nice to visit in January.

Good luck with your goals, and keep up the good work!

Linn 
Seht
on 7/30/09 4:23 am
Welcome to the board Rebecca

Those are great goals, and I was thinking of doing the Disneyland one myself.
I'll have to work it into a family vacation though.. There is no way I would be able to convince the family to let me go to Disneyland without them.

Good luck with the bad runs, they happen, and then you get over it.  Just when I think they are all going to be bad, I go and have a good run.  Then I'm left wondering why they all can't be like that.

Congrats on working through your foot injury and getting back into the running routine.  Stopping and starting is hard on the motivation.  It shows some good dedication to make it through that.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Sherry_Berry
on 7/31/09 9:28 am - Dacula, GA
Sweet! We just need to get you a bike and you'll be a triathlete!

Welcome to the boards!
Cassie W.
on 7/31/09 11:45 am
Welcome to the Fitness Boards Rebecca! I was thinking the same thing as Sherry.  You've already got two sports down.  I suspect after you nail those half marathons, we'll be reading about your first triathlon.

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

beckipoohbear
on 8/1/09 8:53 am - AZ
 The triathlon has indeed been a faint little niggling in the back of my head as something I might like to do someday.  Thanks all for the warm welcome and the encouragement!  And this morning's run was longer and WAY better so yay!

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Most Active