Joining a gym

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/09 3:04 pm - Richardson, TX
I have an appointment tomorrow to tour a local gym.  I'm a little intimidated but when I called with questions the person I spoke with made me feel very comfortable.  His girlfriend had RNY so he was knowledgeable about WLS.

Is there anything I should look for specifically?  Anything I should consider to be a red flag? This is new territory for me.  I haven't had my surgery yet.  I'm almost done with the multidisciplinary program my insurance requires.  I'm hoping for mid September I just feel so good after working out with the PT at my surgeon's office that I wanted to get a head start in the gym.

Thanks!
Seht
on 7/30/09 1:11 am
Congrats on deciding to get a head start on the workouts.

Things I would want to know or look out for:

Find out what their busy hours are.  Go to the gym during the hours you think that you will be attending and make sure there is enough equipment to go around.  It really sucks to have your workout stalled because there is a line of people waiting to use a machine or a treadmill etc.

Watch out for them trying to upsell you.  For example a lot of the national chains will try to sell you their big package which lets you work out at all of thier facilities.  Will you really be traveling often enough to use this.  Or if you aren't going to use the tanning booths, do you need that.  Those kinds of things.

Is this gym an every man/woman gym or do they cater to the hard core weight lifters.
Is this a real gym or a social club acting as a gym.  We have a couple of those locally, they have full food service etc.  It's almost like a spa.

Does the gym offer classes?  Spin, Yoga, bootcamp etc.

What type of personal trainers do they have, and what do they offer to new members.  Often times they will tell you that you get so many sessions with a trainer.  I have found these to be pretty useless.  They aren't really interested in training you, they might teach you how to set up the machines and run through 1 workout with you. It is probably the same workout they give everyone.

Do you need child care, several of my local gyms have drop off areas where they can watch your kids while you workout.  That is a nice perk if/when you need that.  If you have older kids, how old do they have to be in order to use the equipment at the gym.  What about brining guests or other family. 

If you don't care for their trainers/staff, what are their rules about bringing in your own trainer with you.  Are you going to have to pay for a guest pass?

What are their cancellation policies.

Good luck finding the right gym for you.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/09 1:39 am - Richardson, TX
Thanks Scott!

The plan I was initially interested in at this club is 18.99 a month but I found out that it's for alternate days (like MWF or TTHSat).  I'd rather have the opportunity to attend everyday.  Plus I have 3 little ones so my schedule is sometimes dictated by their schedules.  

Plus, the 18.99 plan does not cover childcare.  I don't know if they are trying to up-sell me or if they were just trying to meet my needs but the only plan that covers childcare is their National Plan.  It comes out to 27.00 a month.  It includes the use of 3 pools and all of their classes (water classes, spin, yoga, etc.).  I was surprised to find that the childcare is available everyday and 4 days a wee****il 9pm. 

I would never have thought to ask about trainers and about bringing in my own. 

What a great questions you brought up.  Thank you!
Linn D.
on 7/30/09 2:24 am - Missoula, MT
Be careful of the time commitment.  You may have to sign a contract for longer than you end up liking the place.  I love where I am now, but didn't like the one previous to it nearly as much.  I pay twice as much now but what I get is well worth the extra cost.

Linn 
(deactivated member)
on 7/30/09 12:45 pm - Richardson, TX
Thanks for the advice!  It was very helpful.  My husband and I BOTH joined.  We're very excited to get healthy together.

Karen
heidig
on 7/30/09 1:50 pm
I think this is great.  Back in the day when I used to be a gym rat, I remember the key was just to go.  If your favorite equipment was all being used, use another.  If the class looked full, try to squeeze in.  They were not always the best workouts, but I felt better about me knowing that I did my best and I went.
Dont get caught up with comparing yourself to others. 
Remember that this it time you are taking to be good to yourself.
Enjoy the process, even when you are not enjoying the moment of exercise.
Pay attention to the way you feel afterwards!  Soon you will go simply for that!
If they have a decent locker room, take the time once in a while to have a long shower, use lotions etc. no one bothers you there!

I'm excited for you!  September is around the corner!
Most Active