Scared about a 10 K

shane614
on 7/28/09 1:11 pm - elgin, IL
I ran 5 miles last friday morning so a 10 k should not be that bad.  But I am running a 5k tomorrow(Wed) at night then Sunday my first 10k.  

I bought some Carb boost that has only 3 grams of sugar to use before both races.  Can anybody get me some more advice?

thanks

Shane 
Linn D.
on 7/28/09 11:42 pm - Missoula, MT
I may be the only one, but I don't worry about nutrition for shorter races.  I don't eat or drink before or during any races half marathon or less.  So no advice there.

However, when I did my first 10K I had been used to running 5 miles at a time by then, but I was also still pretty nervous about it.  Things went just fine, as I'm sure they will for you.

Good luck!

Linn

saxman007
on 7/29/09 1:20 am - Port Huron, MI
 I'm with Linn on the nutrition.  Most of us don't have to worry about nutrition until our activity level starts to be over 90 minutes or so.  When I do need nutrition during an event I like either Sport Beans or Gu energy gels.  The gels are great for energy but they take some getting used to.  For a 10K you could probably get any calories you need with Gatorade or other sports drinks.
Good luck on your 5k and the 10k!
panhead58fl
on 7/29/09 1:44 pm - Barboursville, WV
If you can run 5 miles then a 10K will be no problem.

I would never try any thing before a race that I didn't try in practice first.

pan head
Hawgman
on 7/29/09 11:38 pm - TX
I am with these guys on the nutrition.  Depending on the heat, I would take in some Gatorade at the turn around and that is probably about it.  Hydrate well before on both races.

On the fitness level, I always use the Vince Lombardi method.  Look around there will be someone doing worse than you are.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Darrell
Most Active