Race Report - Mass State Triathlon 7/26

Markrb
on 7/27/09 11:49 am, edited 7/27/09 11:50 am - MA

I completed one of my goals for this year and finished my first sprint triathlon. 

SWIM 1/3mi / BIKE 10mi / RUN 3.1mi

My total time was 1:29:38 and I finished 147 out of 236 in the sprint.

Swim 14:14

T1 2:32

Bike 36:44

T2 2:39

Run 33:31

Saturday before the race I planned on a total rest day, but I had a demo road bike that I wanted to ride some more, so I took it out for a 25 mile ride on Saturday, nothing strenuous and I was feeling good. I was excited and nervous so I had a really had a hard time sleeping. I kept having strange dreams all night that I was at the race and forgot this or thator was late and they wouldn't let me in. About 3am I woke up and heard a heavy rain outside, and started to worry aboutthe demo bike on wet roads. I have been riding for a long time but always on a mtn bike, and never with clipless peddles whichI just got last week. 

I slept a little more and woke up around 5am, had a light breakfast of kashi a banana and protein drink.Off to the race, the rain had stopped and it was cloudy and very humid. I got to the race site 15 minutes after the lot opened at 6:15and the lot was already half full. I was alone since my fiancé hadn't been feeling well, and wanted to sleep in and meet me at the racebefore the start. The transition area was well laid out and the staff and fellow triathletes were very helpful. I was setup and there wasstill at least an hour to race time, so I spent time walking around checking out bikes and chatting with a few folks. 

I'd only been training for swimming for a couple of weeks since I just found this tri and signed up withonly a couple of weeks until race time. I was nervous about the swim and hadn't done any open water swimming as practice.The swim was only 1/3 mile or about 500 meters. I had swam 1000 meters a couple of times at the YMCA pool, but looking out at theopen water, it seem like a long way. I was in the beginner and old guy group, which I qualified for both, there were about 30 of us,and we had some good laughs about the upcoming swim while waiting for the first 2 heats to go off. It was now our turn and wewaded into the water. Since the lake was so high had to swim around a submerged park bench to the start buoys. I took and insideposition and off went the horn. I went out trying to keep up with the front runners, not a chance. My swim form isn't good and was quickly left behind. I turned back and noticed that there were at least some folks behind me and then I started to overtake some of thepink caps that went off in the heat in front of us. At this point I just wanted to finish, not drown and ride off on my fast demo bike. 

As I crawled up onshore I was taken aback by the crowd support and cowbells. It was really cool, I've never had anyone cheer for me before.I got to the transition area and moved at a deliberate pace, but slow enough to get my bearings. I got dressed, picked up my bike and ran outof the transition area. The first part of the course was on a bumpy road around the lake. The new bike is fast, but with no suspension, it can bea rough ride. We found the highway then the first and only hill at mile 4, up about 500 feet in 1.2 miles and then a flat and downhill ride to the finish. I was having so much fun on the new bike that I just went as fast as I could and did ok, my goal was to finish, and not hurt myself or dump the bike. 

Riding into transition, I finally spotted my fiancé Beckie and I slowed down to say hi and told her to catch me going out of transition. I took a moment to hydratesince it was now about 80 degrees but very humid. On the way out on the run, my fiancé stopped me to grab a picture and give me a kiss.I wish I were a fast runner, but I'm just not. I stopped at the turnaround, tied my shoe and splashed my face with cold water, man was it hot. I kept pace coming back and had enough left to sprint to the finish. Crossing the finish line was a great feeling and the crowd was incredible.

Beckie was there and gave me a big kiss and gave me some ice cold water. I had finished, which a couple of years ago at 300 lbs+ was something that I could only dream about. I really felt exhilarated as we walked around the vendor area andgrabbed some fruit and a granola bar. I've been morbidly obese since I was in high school and was never an athlete, even though I really wanted to be.

For me this was a great experience and one that I can't wait to repeat. Imagine that, I'm a triathlete. 

On a side note that demo bike turned into the purchase of my first real road bike. My 46th birthday was Friday, and now that I'm approaching my goal weight I'm free to do things I've always dreamed of. My goal for the bike is to do and half century, then century ride before riding season is over. I spent Sunday afternoon at the bike shop getting fitted and took the new machine out for a 12 mile spin when I got home. 

Thanks for everyone on the board. I don't post a lot, but read almost daily to get inspired.

304/256/184/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/27/09 12:05 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Good for you buddy! Great report, great race and way to finish strong with a sprint to the finish line! Get signed up for another soon and now that you know you can do it, try to fine tune things and improve from here. Again great job, what an accomplishment! Seriously, this board is now swept with triathletes, runners, excercise freaks, and it is so cool to be amongst you. Way to go!!!
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Cassie W.
on 7/27/09 12:36 pm
Congratulations Mark!  Awesome job with only a couple of weeks of swim training and a demo bike.   I'm sure you're still flying high today as you look towards your next events. 

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

Darrell H.
on 7/27/09 12:41 pm - Sinton, TX
Awesome job. Sounds like you had a great time. I get to have my 1st open water swim Sunday for my 2nd tri. Like Dan said, sign up for another one and Dare Greatly!!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Linn D.
on 7/27/09 2:15 pm - Missoula, MT
Sounds like you had a great time!

Nice report, and here's to completing your next goals.  Congrats on the new bike.  You must've really liked it.  See, you're never to old... (I'm 43).

Linn 
saxman007
on 7/27/09 4:04 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Way to go!  I don't know if there's anything in sport quite as terrifiying as looking at that first OWS in a triathlon.  Man, it's just a scary, scary thing.  The more that I do them and the more I do OWS the more I like them.
Glad to hear you didn't swim into any benches on the course!
Way to go and looking forward to more reports!
--Dan
wjoegreen
on 7/27/09 10:42 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Big Congrads dude.  Sounds like an awesome experience.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 7/27/09 11:45 pm
CONGRATS!!!!!

That was an awesome race report, and it sounds like you had a wonderful day.  Keep up the great work and enjoy that new speedy bike!

What did you get, give us a picture, some eye candy.
You will get those 50 & 100 mile rides no problem. 

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Markrb
on 7/28/09 12:09 am - MA
I ended up getting the Specialized Roubaix Comp

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEquipPopup.jsp?equipimage=/OA_MEDIA/2009/bikes/9093-31_RBX_Comp_TeamRed_l.jpg&equipmodel=Roubaix%20Comp

Theres a pic in my profile since I can't get firefox to paste pictures in here.

304/256/184/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

wjoegreen
on 7/28/09 12:46 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Nice looking wheels.  You still demo riding or did you bite the bullet.  Looks like it might go for a few more than $500,...... $550???? 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active