What a day

Seht
on 7/25/09 1:56 pm
Had a 60 mile ride scheduled for today.  It started out beautifully even if it was a little cold.
I was doing great closing gaps and staying with the lead group.  Then it started getting harder and harder to keep up.  Initially I attributed it to only having 2 of my 3 chain rings.  The stupid bike still won't shift consistantly.  I had the mechanice just set the limiter so that it would use the small and mid size ring and it shifts beautifully in that range, but I sure missed the large ring on the flats and downhill sections.

Somewhere around mile 30 I had lost contact with both the front and rear groups.  I was in no mans land.  Way ahead of the slow group and way behind the fast group, but I was struggling, it felt like I was towing something behind me, up hill both ways in the snow with a headwind.

The 40 mile marker was a scheduled stop at a little deli.  This is where I discovered that my tire was flat.  I went through the tire changing process, and got ready to take off.  I made it down the road about 2-3 miles and the new tire went soft.  I did not want to change and patch the tire, I didn't have another new tube.  So I decided to abandon the ride course and cut the ride down to 50 miles from the original 60.  I bee lined it back to the start, stopping every mile to pump up the tire again.

What an annoying end to a beautiful day.  The weather was goregous, we were touring the wine country, We had good food and friends.  Even with all of the mechanical problems, I would say it was a great day.  If anyone is out in this area, I would absolutely recommend this ride. 

When I got home I went through the tire again, still couldn't find anything in the tire causing the flats.  I patched one of the tires and put it back into the bike.  It seems to be holding air just fine, so not sure what the deal was.  When examining the first tube, I found that whatever had punctured it, had done a good job, because it pierced both sides of the tub.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

wjoegreen
on 7/25/09 4:11 pm, edited 7/25/09 4:12 pm - Colonial Heights, VA
Bummer, but still quite a ride!
I thought about you today as I rode 16 mi on a route I conceived to my sisters and back. I tried to avoid a huge hill on the obviuos route but the route I chose on the way out turned out to be a lot more slow inclines than I remembered traveling by car.  So on the way back I took the route with the big hill I avoided.  With the full range of 3 and 6, I made it up without having to get off and walk it, amazing myself.  But after two smaller hills and just getting across intersections, my chain came off while shifting.  The first time it was the front sprocket and the second time it was the rear. The second time threw me so off balance so much I must have hit my seat funny as it went twirlly lose.  I'm not sure how it could spin around like that and not slide down.  I adjusted it up about an inch with the quick release lever and it seems to be holding but it has caused me to lose my confidence in that device.  I may look at replacing it with a newer lever or even a nut and bolt to be able to tighten it more.

Besides wanting to add some toe clips and a rear view mirror, I plan to add a water bottle holder (it has the frame bolts) and a better seat.  It is a 2003-04 Diamondback Wildwood trail bike I received from a friend that upgraded.  It currently has the big cushy spring enhanced beach cruiser seat which amazingly wasn't very comfortable. Depending on cost, I am thinking about a tri seat and maybe handlebars.  I gotta do something with my handlebars.  The straight trail bike bars are not comfortable at all. And my arms and hands go numb after a while I guess do to lack of blood flow because of the pressure on my palms against the bars.

I am use to the roadbike (old 10-speed) bars but have always wanted to try those areo bars and elbow rests they now show as tri bars.

Thanks for helping inspire me to get back on the bike and sharing your experiences.

Joe 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 7/26/09 1:19 am
Wow, I'm glad you didn't get hurt on that chain slip.
About a week ago, one of our local riders broke a crank when he was trying to go up a hill.  He ended up hitting the ground, and messed himself up.

I have  adiamondback also, mine is the podium model.  The water bottle cages are a nice thing to have, but I am now sold on my camelback for long rides.  It provides much more liquid, and keeps it cold.  I fill it full of ice and then pour my drink in there.  It was still cold after almost 5 hours.

After getting my tire fixed last night, I took it for a little ride around the neighborhood.  It's amazing what a little air in the tire will do for you

Scott

Linn D.
on 7/25/09 11:41 pm - Missoula, MT
It seems strange that even a little air out of the tires makes a big difference in the ride.  

I know you're really having a lot of trouble with your bike, but it won't be too long before a replacement is in your possession.

Take care of yourself and remember that everything you do now with your training and races is so much more than you could do just a few years ago.

Linn 
Seht
on 7/26/09 1:20 am
OH yeah it's just frustrating when you fight your equipment.  The ride was beautiful, the extra cir****tances made it a little miserable.

Most Active