Some Half-Ironman Questions

saxman007
on 7/25/09 10:12 am - Port Huron, MI
So those of you who have done these I've got a couple of basic questions:
1) What did you wear for the bike leg?  What I'm a little concerned about is that my trisuit is a bit thin and after 30 miles it gets a little sore.  My bigger question though is if I'm going to want the pockets that a bike jersey provides.  I'm comfortable with taping my gels to the bike but I've discovered that I'm able to eat Cliff Bars pretty so I'm wondering if I just get a Bento Box at the expo or quickly through on a bike kit?  For a full ironman I think it's a no brainer but for this distance I'm just not sure.
2) They have 3 water stations on the bike.  My question is I have an ProfileDesign Razor bottle for the down tube  + my Profile Design AquaCell aerobar bottle.  I'm assuming that the bottles they'll exchange are normal bottles so do I just grab a bottle and dumb it in my Aquacell and toss their bottle back to them?  I guess if I wear a bike jersey I'd just toss it in my pocket and through it in the collection area at the next station.
I 'think' I've got my nutrition plan.  Now it's a matter of implementing it
Mifiremedic
on 7/25/09 10:31 am - MI
I've been my longer rides with both tri shorts and bike shorts. My plan is to slip on and slip off the bike shorts when needed and off before the run. I'm with you, I've been finding the longer rides a bit uncomfortable with just tri shorts.

I as well am still putting some thought into whether to wear my normal tri jersey or a bike jersey. It probably will be a last minute decision on which I will wear.

I just bought a bottle holder that attaches onto the rear of the saddle so I can carry the hydration I'm used to. I will have a profile aerobar hydration system, a down tube bottle holder and a dual bottle holder off the rear of my saddle. Some may think its overkill, but I will probably be sweating like a prostitute at confessional, and want to be prepared with my confessional. As for the gels, I really like ataching the gels to my bike, it makes for easy one handed operation.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/25/09 10:40 am - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Dan,

I just wear my tri shorts for the whole race. Yes, they are thin, but I am used to them now so it's no biggie....Of course cycling shorts are more comfy, for the half distance tri shorts work for me. I have a bento box. Actually, when I decided to start using my Camelbak for hydration rather than my aero bottle, I got an Aero net that holds about 10 gels, 2-3 bananas, 2-3 power bars and my sports beans. It's like having a pantry on your bike and fits between the aero bars! YEs, you can use their bottles and exchange them at the next rest stop / station and stuff em in your cycling jersey. If you pick up a sweet singlet at the expo, it should have a couple pockets that will hold the bottles, and you will be pimped out! Take it easy this week, hydrate well, increase sodium intake and don't do anything out of the ordinary. You have worked really hard for this buddy, enjoy every moment of this and race smart! Take care and best of luck! 
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

kypdurran
on 7/28/09 10:23 am - Baton Rouge, LA

Hey Saxman.  I wear tri shorts on all my long rides as well as for both 70.3s I've done this year.  I'll wear them for Redman 70.3 and the Ironman 70.3 Championship as well.  I guess I'm just used to them.  Maybe I've calloused my ass enough that it just doesn't bother me anymore.  :)

I have a bento box that attaches to my top tube that I put my spare tube, honey, cola powerbar gummies and toilet paper.  Gotta have my TP since my gastric distress is legendary! :)

A bit of advice about the aid stations on the bike.   Don't rely on them if you can help it!   There were some nightmare stories for some of the later waves in New Orleans as they ran out of water and gatorade.  People were stopping on the side of the road and picking up used bottles.  Pack your bike just like you were gonna take a long ride and use the bike aid stations as last resorts. 

Most Active