Exactly 7 days from today I should.....

Mifiremedic
on 7/24/09 10:34 pm - MI
be in the waters of Lake Michigan starting the swim portion of my very first Half Ironman. This is something I've been waiting for, for nearly a year. I have my race number, wave start, and preparing to take off on my last long brick workout before I begin the taper.

This afternoon I will take the bike into my LBS and have it looked at, oiled, greased, tweaked, lubed, cleaned, and adjusted to make sure everything is in perfect working order.

On todays brick workout, I'm looking to work on some nutrition, most importantly fluids. Gatorade in the bottle hasnt been settling very well with me, and have done lots of reading and found articles that talk about powered gatorade being easier on the stomach. I plan to eat a power bar early in the bike in order to give it time to settle/digest. After that it will be gels, etc.

Okay, I'll quit babbling, but I cant get my mind off the race next weekend. Oh, and the race will be taking place on my 40th birthday, and cant think of a better way to ring in my 40th birthday than by doing a Half Ironman (well at least with my clothes on)..

I would appreciate any last minute advice anyone has.

Thanks again for listening to me babble.

Your friend

Curt
Sherry_Berry
on 7/24/09 10:47 pm - Dacula, GA
Did you want in on the Steelhead Trakkers beta testing?
I think Saxman is doing it...
Let me know and I'll send you the info.

Sounds like you're ready to race. You've investigated nutrition.

My only advice is when you start the bike let your HR recover a little bit before you hit the hammer.

And if you plan on peeing on the bike, don't wear socks!
Mifiremedic
on 7/25/09 12:19 am - MI
Sherry..

ABSOLUTELY... I would love to be a test dummy. Let me know what you kind of information you need from me.

I've been working on getting my HR down after the swim. Not sure if I will ever "hammer" it in this race, but I know what youre saying.

Well isnt there a race saying, something like: Dont try something new on race day? I have yet to pee on the bike and dont plan to in this race. Plus I always wear socks when I ride.. Ha Ha... However if I do, you will be the first person I tell, Deal?

This week at work should be extremely unproductive.

Curt
Seht
on 7/24/09 11:54 pm
Nah, it just sounds like you are excited, and you should be.

Congrats on making it to this.  Best of luck next weekend.  I hope everything goes your way and you have an enjoyable, memorable experience.

Best wishes,

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Linn D.
on 7/25/09 1:36 am - Missoula, MT
Curt,

I always enjoy listening to you babble.  Kinda fun.  You'll have a fun race day and have even more to babble about when it's done.  Can't wait to hear about it.

By the way, I suppose you could do the race without you clothes on... if you're looking to have more fun.

Anyway, I'll be thinking of you guys next weekend.

Linn
Mifiremedic
on 7/25/09 4:21 am - MI
On July 25, 2009 at 8:36 AM Pacific Time, Linn D. wrote:
Curt,

I always enjoy listening to you babble.  Kinda fun.  You'll have a fun race day and have even more to babble about when it's done.  Can't wait to hear about it.

By the way, I suppose you could do the race without you clothes on... if you're looking to have more fun.

Anyway, I'll be thinking of you guys next weekend.

Linn
Thanks for liking my babbling. I will be sure to write a lengthy report once I recover.

I like how you think. It seems Ive read something about a naked triathlon. wink wink

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/25/09 9:09 am - Fort Worth, TX
I know how you feel! Be sure to stay healthy, hydrate, and stay off your feet as much as possible as the week goes on. Don't do anything that you normally don't do like go bowling, golfing, etc.... avoid all possibilities of getting injured. Most importantly, have a lot of fun...The Ironman Atmosphere is amazing and you are going to have a blast! Go get em bro...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

saxman007
on 7/25/09 9:55 am - Port Huron, MI
 I'm with you -- I'm so pumped for this!!!!  Towards the end of my last 60 mile bike ride I thought -- man I've got to run a 1/2 marathon now, it's gonna hurt!!!!  But my nutrition still sucks for these long rides.  I think being having Gatorade on the course will be crucial for me.  
So, I'm bib#1586 and will be starting in wave #13, what wave are you in?
Mifiremedic
on 7/25/09 10:06 am - MI
I'm 1238, and in Wave 11.

I havent got the nutrition 100% figured out yet either. Thinking a little bit of solid food early in the bike ride, then gels, followed by liquids only the last 30 minutes or so of the bike. Accelerade, Gels, and a little bit of Gatorade on the run.

What time do you plan on arriving in the area? Where are you staying? Thought you said like 30 miles away, would that be Kalamazoo?

I'll shoot you a PM with my cell phone number, it would be great to meet you.

Curt
MacMadame
on 7/25/09 1:30 pm - Northern, CA
I'm excited for you guys!

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active