I want a Garmin Forerunner 310XT Triathlete Watch!

playwithzoe
on 7/24/09 3:31 am
I want one so bad - but at $399 + another $75 for the accessories (cadence sensor and bike mount) it's a lot dough to shell out.  I have old forerunner 101and love it but I also have to wear a heart monitor and it isn'****er proof and can't measure cadence.  This new model sound fantastic.

Does anyone have one yet?  It seems like it would really help with training.

I don't even have a real road or triathlon bike yet (just riding my hybrid for my first  sprint).  Is is silly to invest in a new monitor when I don't even have the right bike yet?

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Seht
on 7/24/09 5:25 am, edited 7/24/09 5:31 am
Cadence sensor 40.00 from amazon.
bike mount $4.95 from gps city www.gpscity.com cost almost $7.00 in shipping.  But still under $12.00 for the whole thing.
I just bought both recently for the 305.  The 310 looks like the same size and config.
Save you some money there.  Even if it's not the same, it might be worth looking at them or other sources from time to time.  I think I found gpscity through ebay.

Scott

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_F orum_F1/Garmin_310XT_Reviews_P2289765
Some discussions about the product.

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Seht
on 7/24/09 5:26 am
BTW it's  not silly, because you can use the watch and the H.R. monitor for tracking your running.
You don't have to have a tri bike to use it either.  But I bet you will be amazed at the difference between the street bike results and the fat tire results when you do upgrade.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

playwithzoe
on 7/24/09 11:19 am
I wonder why the 310XT won't read your HR in water, they say;

"Please note that because of the nature of heart rate monitors, transferring information from heart rate strap to wrist computer is not currently possible in the water."

My Polar HR monitor transfers data to the wrist computer in water.  That was disapointing to find out.  I can understand not getting the GPS but I don't understand why HR monitor doesn't connect. 

That definetly makes me think twice on bucking up for that model.

Fortunetly my Bianchi hybrid has slick wheels so not too bad.  I can get up to about 17 miles per hour at this point (i'm slow at all three sports).

U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

MacMadame
on 7/24/09 6:55 am - Northern, CA
If you train with HR, it's totally worth it. Even if you don't, having all that data in one package helps a lot. I have 3 different sensor/computer/HR type devices none of which work together and it's a major PITA to coordinate them and remember to set every one correctly.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

playwithzoe
on 7/24/09 11:23 am
Yes I do train with HR monitor I've got that on one wrist, my giant forerunner 101 on my other and my iPod hooked on my shorts.  I'm wired up!

That was the real draw, I could lose the separate HR monitor and I thought it was good in the water now.  But - I found out the Garmin doesn't read HR in the water which is super disappointing.  My Polar transmits HR in the water just fine.   Maybe I'll look at the 305.

saxman007
on 7/24/09 1:16 pm - Port Huron, MI
 I originally thought I really wanted one of these when they were first announced but here's the thing:
GPS is spotty in the water -- some people have had decent results and decent mapping.  This is due to the satellites not being able to penetrate the water and also the slow speed of most swimming makes it hard to get accurate results.
The heart rate monitor not being usable in the water.  I guess Polar uses a different frequency in MOST (not all) of their monitors that can work in the water.  I guess Garmin's frequency/type of signal can't travel in the water.
If you were using a power meter I'd say go for it as it does tie together the GPS/Heart rate monitor/Power meter into one neat package.  
The thing I keep thinking: is knowing my swim split before it's posted worth $250?  That's about the only true benefit that I see of these (outside of the power meter).  Save the money and buy an aero helmet, it'll help you more!
---Dan
playwithzoe
on 7/25/09 8:32 am
An aero helmet?  That really makes a difference?  I don't even have a true road bike yet, that will make the most difference.

I like the GPS for biking so I know how far and speed.  I also like the trainer mode for running.  The little person shows me if I'm keeping up with my pace goals.

I may go for a less expensive Garmin model since the 310XT HRM doesn't work underwater.

saxman007
on 7/25/09 9:47 am - Port Huron, MI
 Several of us on here have the 305 and at $149 or so (or at least that's what they were around Christmas) you can't go wrong.  It's got the little person available for it too:)
You'd look foolish in a aero helmet on a mountain bike -- BUT one thing I keep reading is that for the cost it is the single best saving.  Some reports say that an aero helmet can actually give you the equivalent saving as having aero wheels!
MacMadame
on 7/24/09 1:51 pm - Northern, CA
What? They don't transmit your HR under water? I didn't realize that.

I do want to be able to time my splits. I can't do that with my current HRM. But it does transmit underwater so I can see my average HR and total calories burned.

I have a HRM but I can't say I train with one. I don't have zones I'm aiming for most of the time, for example. I use it more for other things right now... calories burned, can I push myself more on the run, how long have I worked out, etc.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active