How many calories do you burn...??

ClareB
on 7/22/09 10:22 pm - MA
Ok...So I am not the most avid excerciser...but I am working on changing that.  I do go to the gym but not as much as I should.

My question is this:  I only do the treadmill.  I try to walk for an hour.  Last night I figured out that I can set it to do how many calories burn based upon my weight and age.  So I am 40 and weigh 219 lbs now.  I walked for an hour and burned 475 calories.  Does that seem right?  It sounds pretty high to me...but that being said...I stepped on the scale this AM and am down to 217 that is 2 lbs in one day at 10 months out...I was astonished.  Can anyone tell me if the calories are probably accurate?
Thanks
Linn D.
on 7/23/09 2:32 am - Missoula, MT
Most of those calorie counters overestimate calories burned.  You're better off using a heart rate monitor if it matters that much.  I don't count, (eaten or burned) but figure about 120 or so per mile is about normal for most people.

The bigger issue is if you're keeping your heart rate up while you walk.  It's more important for health benefits than burning calories.  

Linn 
ClareB
on 7/23/09 5:58 am - MA

I did four miles...so maybe it was pretty accurate!! 

Thanks so much for your response.  My average heart rate was 118...not too high but ok I guess.

Linn D.
on 7/23/09 6:25 am - Missoula, MT
If you're going to continue walking, try to add some incline so you get at least 30 minutes with your heart rate above 130.  Otherwise you aren't getting much cardiovascular benefit to your exercise.  You really want to make it worth your time!

You might also consider the bikes or ellipticals sometimes to change things up and get your heart rate up also.

Linn 
Most Active