Donner Lake International Triathlon - Race Report

MacMadame
on 7/21/09 3:23 pm - Northern, CA
Well, it was bound to happen eventually... I had my first disappointing race. The altitude got to me and fried my brains so that I made stupid decision after stupid decision. But, on the plus side, I had a great run! First time that's happened.

Things that went wrong:

-Couldn't breath through most of the swim (or bike for that matter)
-Got cramps in my calves on the swim
-Couldn't get my wet suit off (I mean to the point where I would have fit into a 3 stooges movie.)
-Dropped my bike coming out of T1 (and in the parking lot pre-race, come to think of it)
-Had to "go" on the bike really bad and couldn't find a port-a-potty
-Didn't get enough nutrition on the bike and then it got worse on the run
-My race results weren't reported at first and then reported as DNF (which pissed me off)
-Didn't break the 4 hour mark like I thought I had at first

Things that went right:
-Didn't drown, crash, get a flat or have a tree fall on me
-Had a great T2
-Had my best run yet in spite of my nutritional and continuing potty issues
-Finally got my timing issue straightened out

Here's my full report.

http://fattyfightsback.blogspot.com/2009/07/donner-lake-international-triathlon.html

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

saxman007
on 7/21/09 4:05 pm - Port Huron, MI
Hey great race! Nice report, only thing I have to say is pine cone? You are one dedicated triathlete!!!! There are others that would suggest perhaps using a sock for those emergencies.
Way to go!
MacMadame
on 7/21/09 11:38 pm - Northern, CA
There was no way I was using a sock.... first, I'd have to take my shoe off, which would have taken too long and second, I needed it for the run!

Darrell H.
on 7/21/09 11:34 pm - Sinton, TX
Awesome race report all the way down to the pine cones. Way to keep on keeping on. Adversity definately makes us all stronger!!!
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
wjoegreen
on 7/22/09 12:08 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Well, you have acquired some great memories and stories for family gatherings, and provided us with some terrific journalist review of a stellar act of tenacity and never say quit attitude.
Great job!!  
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
MacMadame
on 7/22/09 2:45 am - Northern, CA
I just thought of something else that went right - I didn't actually swallow any lake water. Some got in my mouth, but no swallowing this time.

mcarthur01
on 7/22/09 3:49 am - Cumming, GA

way to gut it out on the run!   and congrats on getting through a tough race and persevering!

Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

Seht
on 7/22/09 9:17 am
Congrats on getting through a tough day

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Sherry_Berry
on 7/22/09 11:13 am - Dacula, GA
Great job on a tough day!

Would you consider peeing on the bike? I only do it during a race if I have to...and I don't bike in socks.

Yes grossed out folks, triathlete have been known to piddle here and there.

If you poop your pants I'll then think you're gross :D
saxman007
on 7/22/09 1:12 pm - Port Huron, MI
 God I wish I could remember which forum but either Slowtwitch or BikeForums had somebody link to a California board (I know, I know go here to go there) anyways she talked about hearing about people going while riding and she decided she'd try it on her century ride (with her triathlon club).  Well, she didn't realize the only thing you are supposed to do on the bike is pee and everybody proceeded to stay as far away from her as possible.  God it was a hilarious thread, I'll try to find -- worth a read!

Most Active