Sunday workouts

wjoegreen
on 7/20/09 1:40 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Have you tried adjusting your sprocket deraileur yourself?

Set the handlebar shifter to the big sprocket.  Then loosen the cable at the chain guide deraileur.  If it doesn't "spring" into position, manually move it to where it needs to be and retighten the cable.  Then test the shifter to see if the range to the smaller sprockets is working.  If that doesn't do it, you have a shifter issue (perhaps the cable is sliding in the shifter connection, or the range of motion for the chain guide on the crank is faulty (bent, broken or need cleaning).  Only other possibility but seldom the issue is the cable is not moving properly in the sheating/ cable housing, between the two points, casuing the shifter and chain guide deraileur to not appear to be "communicating" as directed consistently.  Any piece or all three can be replaced if not repaired.  I use carb cleaner or WD40  to clean my gears and guides.  Or carb clearner to clean and WD 40 to lube if lots of grease and dirt has accummulated.  NOTE: Caution using the carb cleaner as direct spray for too long can deface your frames paint,.. if that is a concern.

My sprocket chain shifter went spasm on me on my re-inaguraul ride Sunday after 29 years off the bike.  It took two hand to shift until I got to an allen wrench at my brothers to reattach and adjust.

Hope that helps and you get over your cold soon.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Seht
on 7/20/09 5:29 am
Thanks,

The last time I tried to adjust it myself it just got worse.
I have had 3 different shops wrench on that piece of garbage, and they all get it to work, it works for a day or two then it quits shifting.  It's possible that something keeps loosening up, or the cable gets stretched etc.  It also functions differently under load than it does when it's on the bike rack. 

The last mechanic was very thorough, he worked on it for a couple hours, took it for a couple test rides and it was working great.  I took it for a 25 mile ride myself, no problems.  Rode it the next day for about 2 miles, no problem.  Put it on the indoor trainer, worked a couple times then stopped shifting.

I really don't want to put any more money into that thing.  It feels like throwing good money after bad.  I'll just have to grit my teeth and suffer until I can afford a new bike.  No more buying the cheapest thing out there just so I can get started.  I always get burned when I do that.  I was so excited to get a bike and do the triathlon, I bought the only thing I could afford and now I'm going to be paying for it.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

playwithzoe
on 7/20/09 6:56 am
Did about a one mile open water swim.  Great confidence booster in preperation for my first sprint tri in two weeks.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

collinsne
on 7/20/09 11:13 am - Barre, VT
I'm just one week post-op today.  On Sunday I walked 9 holes with my husband while he played.  I did skip the hills on a couple of holes tho. 

MacMadame
on 7/21/09 9:30 am - Northern, CA
I did the Donner Lake International Triathlon. Race report coming...

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Most Active