OWS doubts finally washed away

Cassie W.
on 7/16/09 11:16 am
I'm 10 days away from my 1st sprint triathlon and I was really starting to question if I would be able to make the 30-minute cut-off time for the 800 meter open water swim.  The swimming just doesn't come naturally.  I get a little queasy bobbing around in the waves.

But, today I had the opportunity to swim the actual course with 50-plus women who are also training for the Irongirl.   I hung towards the back so I could relax and find my rhythm and was pleasantly surprised when my feet hit the beach in 20 minutes. 

So, the nagging doubts have been washed away and I can just concentrate on having fun!

Cassie
"Hard things take time to do. Impossible things take a little longer."

saxman007
on 7/16/09 12:01 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Great job!!!  20 minutes isn't too shabby of a time either (better than my last race time!).
I'm really enjoying OWS now that I've gotten used to it.  Very different than pool swimming.  Had a student tonight ask if he could join me on an OWS and I told him he's got to spend more time in the pool first -- that it's VERY different out in the water.
On race day just stay relaxed, if you did 20 minutes today I'd position myself 1/2 through the pack and on the outside edge.  My guess it you'll probably come in right around the middle - back of the middle of the wave you go, but NOT a back-of-the-pack swimmer.
Looking forward to reading that report of the race -- they're a blast!!!
Linn D.
on 7/16/09 12:12 pm - Missoula, MT
Way to go Cassie!

There's a lot to be said for relieving some of those fears.  Sounds like everything is going to go just fine!

Linn 
DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/16/09 1:46 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Vampi
on 7/16/09 2:30 pm - Mandeville, LA
That's great!!  What a wonder thing to be able to KNOW before hand that you can do it! 

HIGHEST 273.5 / PREOP 263.5 / CURRENT 198 / GOAL 161.5

Rob S.
on 7/17/09 10:31 am - DE
I never had any doubt.  You always go after what you want.  Good luck in the sprint.
Rob
wjoegreen
on 7/19/09 2:10 am - Colonial Heights, VA
You never cease to amaze me.  Great logistical planning and training.
Congrads on beating your expectations and good luck on the bg day, though good foresight and training make the luck easier to come by.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
playwithzoe
on 7/20/09 7:02 am
I know exactly how you feel.  My first tri is august 2nd and I had done 2 ows but they were shorter that the actual half mile distance so I was really really nervous.  A friend found a great place for ows practice and on Sunday went up and did a mile in about 30 minutes (we had an hour to do half a mile in the race) so I'm feeling soooooooo much more confident now.

I'm curious about the iron girl, I'll have to look it up.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

Most Active