Suggestions for stretches or exercises to help with transition

Rob S.
on 7/16/09 4:58 am - DE
When I do my training for the dualathon, I am noticing a pain behind the knee when I transition from the 30-mile bike to the 3-5 mile run.  I do not experience the same pain when going from the initial run to the bike.  Anyone got any ideas for a way to strengthen the leg so it doesn't end up shocked.  Thanks.
Rob
saxman007
on 7/16/09 5:22 am - Port Huron, MI
 I haven't had any of these problems but here are some things that I've read that I really try to follow:
1) Cadence -- essentially the faster you can spin the better.  Not sure where you're at with this but it seems like most of the articles point to aiming for 85+ on the bike.  
2)  Along the cadence, the last 1/2 mile to mile start trying to spin faster.  I aim for 95-105 (which I can do comfortably now) to get the blood flowing back through the legs
3)  Also, in the last couple of miles try to stand up for 10 -20 seconds every minute or two primarily to stretch your hamstrings.  
Hopefully this helps a little.  My last race was the first time I felt comfortable running off the bike and it was my 4th race this year.
Good luck!
Most Active