Fuel Belt or Camelback?

Darrell H.
on 7/12/09 11:40 pm - Sinton, TX
After reading the post on hydration for long runs, this question comes to mind. Which do you all prefer. Is the camelback to awkward for running?   I am about to start gradually increasing miliage and I would rather carry my hydration with me. I was leaning toward a fuel belt so I could use the pockets to keep gels. I figure that would be easier since gels will be my primary food during my long runs and marathon. Thanks for the replies.
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Elisa K.
on 7/12/09 11:44 pm - Lumberton, NJ
Hi Darrell:
I can't speak for the camelback, but I do use my fuel belt, and LOVE it.  I think with the camelback you would be restricted to filling it with water (not sure how you would clean it??), but you can fill the flasks on the fuel belt with anything you want.  Sometimes I use an electrolyte mix if it is really hot out.  You can also buy replacement flasks for it.  The pocket on the belt is very handy - that is where I keep my gels, or sometimes my cell phone if I am running alone.

Seht
on 7/13/09 12:30 am
I use both.
When I go on long rides, I use the camelback.  I usually fill it with ice then whichever replacement drink I plan to use.  I love it.  It's a life saver and much more convenient than fighting with bottle cages and sports bottles.  I've seen lots of people drop bottles on the road during rides and races.
When I'm running, I use the fuel belt.  I wouldn't want to have the extra 70 ounces or so of fluid sloshing around on my back.

The camelback cleans just fine, the bladder is removeable from the backpack.
There are several aftermarket products for cleaning them.  I like skweet.  It is all natural, no soapy flavor.  Just fill the bladder with ho****er and a copule tablespoons of the stuff shake it around and rinse it out.  They also sell a cleaning brush kit for getting down inside the camelback.
http://www.skweetclean.com/

http://walking.about.com/od/prpack/gr/camelbakclean.htm

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

Elisa K.
on 7/13/09 1:13 am - Lumberton, NJ

Thanks for this info Scott!!  I've wanted to get a camelback for hiking, but I was concerned with cleaning it. 

saxman007
on 7/13/09 11:43 am - Port Huron, MI
 I don't have a camelback but am seriously looking at getting one.  I tell all of my students they should have one at band camp so I probably contribute about 100 annual sales of camelbacks, lol.  My problem with my Fuel Belt is that it only holds about 25 oz. total; I've got the 4 flask version.  
On a long run of 1:30 or more that's just not enough fluid intake.  It is very comfortable to wear and it's easy to grab and drink from the flasks while still running.
My concern with the camelback is the extra heat from it being directly on my back.  Scott, what's your experience been with this?  Personally I like the thought of having 70 oz. of fluids for a 2+ hour run (I do like to take in plenty of fluids) and I don't think I'd really mind the extra weight.

Seht
on 7/13/09 12:16 pm, edited 7/13/09 12:21 pm
It is heavy, and I fill mine with ice before the ride, then put the fluid in, so when I'm really working to get up a hill, I can feel it sloshing back and forth.  I only use it on the bike.  I think it would be too annoying on a run.  They do come in several sizes.  I have a mid size one that is 70 ounces.  I think my wife said the small one was 50 ounces the big one was 100 ounces.  As for the heat, I feel it on my back right where the backpack sits.  If I am going to start sweating, that's the first place.  Right where it is insulated.  However I had cold liquid refreshment for an almost 4 hour ride, so that was nice.  I hate drinking warm gatorade or water.  Plus the camelback also has some zippered pockets.  I carry my bike tools and a spare tire in one of the pouches and some food, credit card, i.d., money keys in the other pocket of the camelback.  It was the best fathers day present I have gotten.  It was something I wanted, but probably wouldn't have bought for myself until later on.  I have used it several times since.  If it were to go up in smoke right now, I would go right back out and buy another one.

My running belt will take just about any size bottle I wish to carry.  I have put in a bottle of water, I have put in one of the large drink botles from my bike.  It also has 2 spots for gel flasks, a fuel pouch and 2 little mesh velcro pockets.  I haven't found the little pockets to be useful for anything bitter than a key or something like that.  I can mash a gel pack in there, but it's a tight fight.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/13/09 12:14 pm - Fort Worth, TX
What Scott said...
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Most Active