My Weekly Workouts Any Tips?

Jenni123
on 7/12/09 9:09 am - orlando, FL
 I have been working out for about 3 months now.  I have fallen into a routine of 3 times a week.  Thursdays is an hour long Zumba class.  The other two days I do weights arms & abs one day & legs & back the other day.  I also do a mile or so on the treadmill.  I am planning to add a 4th day now that I have a better schedule at work.  Sometimes if I find I cannot make it a day I try to atleast take my son swimming and swim laps.  What would you add to the 4th day?  Would you swim or do more weights and cardio?  Also I am currently completing my mile in 17 mins 45 seconds.  I want to get it up to a 15 minute mile and then start adding more distance.  My ultimate goal is 3 miles in 45 minutes.  I really have no clue what I am doing but this is the program I have set up for myself.  How long will it take me to build to the 3 miles?  I am about 4 months out from surgery and have lost about 65 pounds and have a long ways to go.  Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.
Linn D.
on 7/12/09 9:33 am - Missoula, MT
30 minutes or more of cardio is important for overall cardiovascular health, 5 days a week.  That can be walking or anything that gets your heart rate up and can be done any time.

Weights 2-3 times a week is usually enough.  Much more than that and you're not giving your body enough time to rebuild in between.

Swimming is also cardio, so if that's what you like, go for it!  Any activity that you like and will do is the best because it becomes part of your daily habit and increases overall health, fitness, and weight loss success over the long haul.

If you want to run 3 miles, there are lots of good couch to 5K programs that are about 12 weeks.  Sign up for a race about 3 months from now and you'll be ready to go!

Congratulations on making the commitment to your health!

Linn 
wjoegreen
on 7/13/09 3:39 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Hey, 
Great Question!

Answer:
What Linn said!

Let me add,...what worked for me: I signed up to do a10K 4 months post op (RNY Sep 06 registered Jan 07) to be done at my 7 month mark (Apr 07).  For training I increased my walking to total of 1 hr per day (which was 2 somtines 3 walks a day).  The I combined that into walking for 1 hr at a time.  That wasn't getting me 6.25 mikes (10K) so I plotted a course of the correct distance and started walking it to see if I could and how long it took.  After I could do it, I adding jogging some of it.  The first time I walked it , it took 2.5 hrs.  On race day I did it in 1:34. Same race a year later, I did it in the rain in 1:05. In Oct 08 I was joggin 10 mi in 2 hrs prepping for my first half marathon I never ran, yet.

My point:  If you want to do 3 miles, treadmill or neighborhood, just do it and doon't worry about your sppeed.  The more you do it, and keep pushing yourself a little more, the faster you'll get. You will be amazed and what you might accomplish.  Register for a 5K, that is great motivation,..tell others you are doing it,..that will keep you committed to traiing and from not keeping the committment.  You may even inspire others to join you and be a hero to your friends and kids.

Incredible isn't it?  Yo are dong great work.  Keep chugging forward to being successful.  You are adopting the lifestyle of healthier, thinner, buff people,......you animal you! 
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Jenni123
on 7/13/09 8:57 am - orlando, FL
 Today I did add another half mile.  So I did 1.5 miles on the treadmill and arms.  Maybe by end of next week I can be up to 2 miles.  There is a breast cancer 5k in October that my employer is sponsoring and encouraging people to sign up.  I have seriously been thinking about signing up but have not decided for sure.  I can do it right???? 
wjoegreen
on 7/13/09 9:14 am - Colonial Heights, VA
Sure You can, that perfect!! And hey,...its not the Olympics, you don't have to finish fastest. 
But your first race/event will give you your first official PR (personal record) to work to improve or maintain. 
You'll meet a lot of happy supportive people and get great encouragement and I bet you'll be in the local pictures they ususlly take of participants to sell you online after the race, in addition to whatever memories you try to capture on your own,....isn't this all so very exciting???

And then,...heres the best part,..you get to come back and tell us all about your experience and techniques, and time.  And then beginners will start to ask questions you can answer cause you've been where they are,....

See, it just keeps getting cooler and cooler!  
(Or is that kewler? I'll check with my daughter, she knows about that kinda stuff!)
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
Most Active