Target Heart Rate

scootermedic
on 7/12/09 6:36 am - Norwich, NY
Hi, I had surgery near the end of March, and started the Couch to 5K program about 3 weeks ago. I've made it through the 3rd session of the 3rd week and then played tennis (against myself) for 45 minutes more. I was wearing my heart rate monitor watch and checked several times.

So I get to about 150 beats per minute if I really push for a minute, but the watch says that's only 85% of my max rate. Should I be trying to get further than that? If I work at a pace where I'm feeling like I'm working hard, but not so hard that I'm hurting myself, I can keep it at about 135 bpm. I did hit 145 during my 3 minute runs, and 155 when I was playing tennis and actually had a great volley run.

OK, so the question is related to getting to a target range and being able to maintain it.
Thanks for your help.

PS: can't say I love running, but this is really working!! I"m very happy with how this is going!!
Scootermedic
A Success!!
RNY  3/24/09
Start Weight / Surg. / Last Dr. Appt. 
  248 (plus) / 234 / 133 (5/9/11)          
Linn D.
on 7/12/09 7:11 am - Missoula, MT
Congrats on your recent surgery and your new adventure into running.  There are lots of places to find out what a 'normal' max heart rate is or should be.

There are also many exercise programs that tell you how long to be in certain heart rate zones.  I don't work things that way, but there are many on this site who do.

Just wanted to let you know that it's not uncommon for me to be over 165-175 bpm toward the end of some of my runs - especially when I'm doing speed work or a long run.  I would say that my normal rate is right around 140 ish during a workout, but I also almost always build in intervals of speed work even during a longer run, whi*****reases my heart rate quite a bit during those times.  My max heart rate used to be somewhere around 185, but I don't think it's that high anymore since that was 10 years ago.

By the way, intervals of higher intensity are really good for improving fitness and cardiovascular health.  That's one of the main reasons I do it.  It also helps to improve your speed.

FYI, I'm a 43 year old woman (5 yrs post op) and have been running for a few years now.

Linn
MacMadame
on 7/12/09 9:01 am - Northern, CA
It's hard to know what zone you should be in without knowing what your max is. There are formulas to tell you, but I don't find them particularly accurate. They all claim my max rate is much lower than it is .... because I've gone over that many times and didn't die once.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

playwithzoe
on 7/13/09 2:56 am, edited 7/13/09 2:57 am
I used to freak out about how high my heart-rate got when I first started exercising after surgery.  I almost always was in my max or over, as I tend to really push myself.  I didn't die and it is actually very good cardio training.  In a few short months however my cardiovascular fitness increased substantially and now my heart-rate only goes into the max zone when I really workout intensely or on long runs.  It also comes down very quickly which is another sign of cardiovascular health.

Also varying your workouts and intensities is good, mix up shorter and intense with longer and easier.  I would keep on doing what you are doing and push yourself a little more each workout.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

scootermedic
on 7/13/09 3:19 am - Norwich, NY
I appreciate the info. I'm not worried that it's too fast a rate, moreso that I might not be pushing hard enough. I feel like I'm working hard, just wanted to think about weather I just feel that cause I've always been the lazy one, or am I working where I should. I'll do some more research.
Scootermedic
A Success!!
RNY  3/24/09
Start Weight / Surg. / Last Dr. Appt. 
  248 (plus) / 234 / 133 (5/9/11)          
Most Active