keeping hydrated during longer runs

PamelaDV
on 7/11/09 12:04 pm - Apex, NC
I am starting to do longer runs in my workouts and I am thinking I need to start thinking about how to fuel those runs and keep myself hydrated.  Today's run lasted 1 hour and 45 minutes.  The last couple of miles I was really dragging.  But I am unsure how to go about keeping myself fueled and hydrated for these longer runs.  I am definitely a novice at running.  Any advice from those of you who have been doing this a lot longer than me would be greatly appreciated.

PamelaDV   Join me on my journey www.pameladv.blogspot.com 
Highest / Surgery / Current / Goal
   288   /     280    /     145    /  

Sherry_Berry
on 7/11/09 12:42 pm - Dacula, GA
Are you carrying a water system, like a hand-held, camelbak or fuel belt?
PamelaDV
on 7/11/09 2:04 pm - Apex, NC
No - I don't have anything.

saxman007
on 7/11/09 2:46 pm - Port Huron, MI
 I think we've all been there.  After that 1:30-2:00 session that leaves us on empty we realize we need something.  +1 on what Sherry said.  For me on my longest runs I'd leave 2 bottles of gatorade around the half-way point (where I could also leave my 2 empty bottles).  As you start entering this territory of endurance you're gonna have to do 2 things: 1) Stay hydrated and 2) Start taking in fuel.  Depending on how you tolerate Gatorade or like substances they can cover both in 1 shot (for the most part).  Additional fuels that work: Sport Beans or the Gels that are out there.  Again, be somewhat close to home the first time you try them as some have dumped on them but most of us tolerate them nicely.
Way to go on your 1:45 run!
MacMadame
on 7/11/09 3:24 pm - Northern, CA
I use a fuel belt.

http://www.fuelbelt.com/fuel_belts/2_bottle.html;jsessionid=0a01034d1f435d92450d76d04916adff8e8eed7bbedd.e3eSbNmTb3mTe34Pa38Ta38Qbh50

I'm thinking of switching to a camelbak though.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Elisa K.
on 7/12/09 8:25 am - Lumberton, NJ

I have a fuel belt, that holds 2 flasks, that sit on my hips - best $40 I've spent!! 

I am a spaz, and have trouble chewing and running at the same time, so I stick to gels.  I buy mine at Vitamin Shoppe.  If I am running for longer than 1 hour, I will take a gel about 15 minutes before I start, and 1 gel every 40 minutes to1 hour after that.

Good luck!!

PamelaDV
on 7/12/09 11:50 pm - Apex, NC
thanks so much everybody.  i think i am going to experiment with the gels as soon as i can and work on getting a hydration belt before the weekend when i do a longer run.  i knew i could count on some great advice on this board.

wjoegreen
on 7/13/09 3:23 am - Colonial Heights, VA
I like the sports beans and because of the fear f dumpng on the road, I can take then 2 or 3 at a time after about the first 45 to 60 mins, depending on how much farther I plan to go.  Before my hip setback, I could do 10 mi in 2 hrs with just sports beans, no water stops.  Then there was the time I set out for my first 8 mi trek and at 6 stopped at a Dollar General to buy water.  I wound up picking up two, and convinced I was gonna die in line waiting to get rung up, ( and the fun of being dressed differently and being hot and winded) drank 1 in line and then the other walking back out to my route.  I remember thinking how will I ever may a half marathon at this pace? 

The body is amazing at what it will adapt and learn to do if we keep after it and let it know what we want it to do and take the time to train it.  You are doing a great job.

I also condone the sports beans because, when i open the gels while running or walking, I tend to get them on my hand and that is some sticky stuff (yes, I am a all thumbs clumsy oaf).  I hate running with sticky hands/fingers.  The gels I tried also give me a bit of an initial head rush I don't care for.  I assume sugar or carb related. And I don't care for the blob of gel consistency taste experience,....my personal issue.

Experiment and figure out what works for you and keep up the great progress.
Joe Green 
Colonial Heights VA
[email protected]
levittown_loser
on 7/13/09 6:01 am, edited 7/13/09 6:02 am - Levittown, PA
Edited to add more info...

I like this hydration belt for it's adjust ability and no bounce performance:

User Rating: Rate 1: Poor Rate 2: Sub-par Rate 3: OK Rate 4: Good Rate 5: Great Rate 1 - 5 (5 is best) Amphipod RunLite 4 >>Add Photos/Edit Details Manufacturer: Amphipod Category: Hydration Search Tags (Keywords): Product Link: http://www.amphipod.com/8400/8... Paid: $39.00 (New) on Jun 15, 2009

Description:
Revolutionary RunLite™ Hydration
The RunLite Series multi-bottle hydration belts combine Full-Tilt™, Hybrid-stretch™, SnapFlask™ and AirFlow™ technology. This versatile and ergonomically integrated system has incomparable quick-click access to fluid or gel while on the run. Self-customizing options make these ultra-light hydration belts the most comfortable way to carry fuel, water, and basic essentials. Position bottles anywhere you want on the belt - vertically, horizontally and for left and right handed access. The multi-bottle Runlite Series belts are unmatched for comfort, performance and overall usability. Pros: -Bottles may be positioned vertically or horizontally
-Bottles may be positioned anywhere on the belt
-Bottle holsters can be added or subtracted from the belt based on your daily needs
-Snapflask holster for easy, on-the-run bottle removal and replacem Cons: No Cons Given Store Details www.runningwarehouse.com (Online Retail Store)

I've used sport beans and gel for fuel .... I also take Electrolyte tabs - Endurolytes for long runs and races.

Definatley start experimenting as these things can be serious with summer heat! 

HW 341/SW 309/CW 169/GW 190   172 lb. loss with my DS -  Subscribe to me on YouTube!
Plastics with Dr. Sauceda 1-11-11 Lower Body Lift, Thigh Lift, Upper Body Lift, Arm Lift and Male Breast Reduction

If you are a MALE and are interested in MALE PLASTICS AFTER WLS click to join our OH Group!

Most Active