Race Report, Avalon, NJ 5-miler

mcarthur01
on 7/11/09 4:30 am - Cumming, GA
I'm on vacation at my parents house at the jersey shore with my family (and the rest of my extended family as a reunion).  As a part of this, i had the opportunity to run a race with my sister and my father who just turned 69 a couple of weeks ago.  My first two races were both 5K's and this was my first race at a greater distance.  The day started off very humid and mildly hot, but the best part of it, it's the beach and all F-L-A-T.  My sister, father, and I were able to run together for the whole race (with my sister pulling out the win in the last 1/2 mile by maybe 15 to 20 seconds), it didn't matter to me as it was by far a PR with a finish time of 43 minutes and 28 seconds with an average pace of 8:44.  Splits were:  8:36, 8:44, 8:44, 8:43, 8:53, did i mention that i like running at sea level on a completely flat surface??

I've also been able to pile on some good rides with my bro-in-law's who both compete (one in road races, the other in tri's), so i think i'm ready for my first tri, i was planning on a mid-september tri, but may look for one in August now.  thoughts?
Where are we going??  And why am I in this handbasket??

right now.  somewhere.  somebody is working harder than you.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/11/09 4:49 am - Fort Worth, TX

The sooner the better bro... You are deff ready!!! Great splits, great race, and I love flat and sea level too! Take care buddy...

Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

Sherry_Berry
on 7/11/09 5:17 am - Dacula, GA
Google tri the parks and georgia multisports.
saxman007
on 7/11/09 2:54 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Great race!!!!
Go do a couple of bricks and sign-up for an August tri!!!!  How's your swimming, can't remember right now how you said it's been coming but I thought I remember seeing some impressive swims/times coming from you.
I'm having a blast doing these races -- and depending on how competitive you are I'm seeing all sorts of people at the races.  All anyone really cares about is cheering everyone on to the finish -- not sure what the front packs are like, maybe I'll find out one day ;)
Linn D.
on 7/11/09 11:56 pm - Missoula, MT
Sounds like you had a great time!  It's nice to be able to do these things with family.  I think one of the most fun races I ever did was a half marathon that I walked with my mom and sister.  Not fast (we walked) but really fun to experience it with them.

I don't much like hills either, but I'd much rather bike them than run them.  If you're comfortable with your swim, you're more than ready for a tri.

Linn 
Most Active