Breakfast Question

Rhonda Burkhart
on 7/9/09 1:00 am
I'm new to working out and exercising.  I'm finding that the best time for me to fit in my workout is in the mornings before work.  My question is ... "Is it better to have breakfast before I begin my workout or after I've finished it?"  I've never been a big breakfast eater, but I understand the importance of having breakfast.  On of my healthy lifestyle goals is to have breakfast each day, but I wasn't sure if it made a difference when I had breakfast. 

Hawgman
on 7/9/09 2:00 am - TX

I am also a morning work out person.  I eat after the workout.  It is important for recovery that you resupply your bodies needs with 30 minutes of finishing your routing.

Good luck and congratulations on the your committment.

Darrell
Seht
on 7/9/09 2:33 am
It is going to depend on the energy you have in the morning.
I found that if I was doing a hard workout in the morning, I didn't have the energy to complete it. 
Considering when I had eaten dinner 6 p.m. the night before, it was almost 11 hours since I had any food in my system.

The Dietician suggested having a protein bar or some other source of fuel that my stomach will accept and not sit like a rock in my stomach.  If I eat this as soon as I roll out of bed, it gives me 30 minute to 1 hour before I am really into the workout and it has helped me a lot.

Usually after a hard workout, eating is the last thing I feel like doing, but I always try to have something within a 1/2 hour of completion.

Scott

The first time you do something - It's going to be a personal record!

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/9/09 4:04 am - Fort Worth, TX
I eat 2 breakfasts. One before workout, usually Banana, whole wheat toast w/ butter, a Kashi bar, some juice ... Apple ,  orange or grape 100% juice of course and maybe a couple of Granola Bars... Post workout, usually 50G protein shake, juice, peanut butter on wheat sandwich, 1-2 granola bars and 1-2 Kashi bars, and if I still need food I eat peanuts and or almonds... A crappy breakfast or no breakfast = a crappy day. Give your body the fuel it needs to perform... MY 2 cents... Do I get any change coming back?
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

victoria R.
on 7/9/09 8:20 am - goose creek, SC
Hi
I have half of a protein bar with some coffee before my morning workout, I drink plenty of water during my workout then I have the other half of the protein bar afterwards as my recovery fuel.  After trial and error I find this is the best option for me when I workout first thing in the morning.

Vicki
290/253/200/175
Highest/Surgery/Current/GOAL

Linn D.
on 7/9/09 9:53 am - Missoula, MT
I'm not necessarily advocating this, but I snack a little at night before bed when I workout in the mornings and don't have any trouble through my workouts.  I eat a good recovery meal afterward.

Just so you know, I do a lot of things different than many folks, but one thing I agree with is that it is extremely important to get a good meal after a hard workout.  I often eat a PB&J sandwich right after and then a bar of some sort about an hour later if the workout was extra long.  I noticed once I started doing this I still had lots of energy later in the week where it used to be a problem when I would wait 2 hours before eating.

Linn 
playwithzoe
on 7/9/09 2:13 pm, edited 7/9/09 2:13 pm
I used to work out in the morning and I am not a morning person nor do I like to eat immediately on waking up but I made sure to eat a banana before so that I'd have some fuel to work off.  I've also just learned how important and helpful it is to take in recovery nutrition within 30 minutes.  It has helped me to be stronger and less sore.

46 yr old female; 5'6"; 11/13/08 VSG Dr. Jossart LapSF, SF, CA
SW 213, GW 150, CW 140, dream GW 130 and/or 20% body fat or less
12/22/09 mini face lift; Dr. Hove, Monarch Med Spa, KoP, PA
01/09/10 Reconstructive Surgery Dr. Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico
U & L eye lid lifts, mini tt w/o muscle tightening, Brazilian buttock lift by fat grafting, Benelli BL & BA

MacMadame
on 7/9/09 3:48 pm - Northern, CA
I split my breakfast in two and consume half before and half after.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Rhonda Burkhart
on 7/9/09 11:09 pm

Thanks for all this great feedback.  It has been really helpful.  I think I may split it up.  Maybe banana before and then somthing after like my morning protien shake.  Thanks again!

Linn D.
on 7/10/09 11:40 am - Missoula, MT
Just don't forget that you also needs carbs post workout for recovery...

As your workout intensity increases you really do need more carbs to recover properly.
Most Active