Opinions and Reviews on Low End Tri Bikes

Darrell H.
on 7/8/09 7:56 am - Sinton, TX
I have finally talked my wife into allowing me to purchase a tri bike if I keep the price some what reasonable. I am currently riding a Schwinn Prelude from Acadamy. I think the size is 54. I am 6'4 and should be riding a size 60-61. ( I have a 90cm inseam) I have looked a 3 particular models. If you have any opinions or information about these or any other model under $2000, I would really appreciate hearing them.

Specialized Transition E5 Comp
Felt S32
Trek Equinox 7
Tri Daring Greatly! www.tridaringgreatly.com

I will no longer be a spectator, a dreamer, a wonderer. I AM a doer; not only a goal setter, but a goal achiever. I will lead by example rather than word. I will "DARE GREATLY!"
Sherry_Berry
on 7/8/09 10:49 am - Dacula, GA
first-you don't have to have a tri-specific bike to do a tri. My first ironman was on an entry level racing bike-I paid ~1200.

Can you do me a favor and post the specs on these bikes? Like what they're made of and which componants they have?
MacMadame
on 7/10/09 3:18 am - Northern, CA
Which entry level bike?

I paid 1200 for my entry level road bike too and, at this point, I'm not really interested in upgrading.

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Sherry_Berry
on 7/10/09 4:08 am - Dacula, GA
It was a giant with an aluminum frame and carbon fork. I forgot which model, but it was great for my first bike. I'm just sayin' if you're gonna spend the money on a tri/TT bike, make it worth it.

I've since sold that bike to a friend.
MacMadame
on 7/10/09 4:57 am, edited 7/10/09 4:59 am - Northern, CA
Mine is a Specialized Dolce Elite. It also has carbon forks and a carbon seat post. I went for the Elite to get the Tiagra components.

My cycling friends who I respect the most all have road bikes and not tri bikes. It just seems to me that a road bike is more versatile especially if you do a lot of hilly courses or twisty courses.

But the tri bikes sure look sexy!

I'm thinking about putting race wheels on my bike next season, but I doubt I'll get a new bike until I get more competitive. Going to all carbon fiber isn't going to move me from the BOP to the FOP. It probably isn't even going to move me to the MOP. I need to do that myself by developing my engine.

Sherry_Berry
on 7/10/09 6:54 am - Dacula, GA
Race wheels won't get you to BOP to FOP either...

Carbon is a COMFORT issue. It absorbs the bumps in the road.

For the cost of the race wheels I'd upgrade the tiagra componants and you'd have some extra $ to spend on other stuff.

As for me, I don't do "pack riding." No reason for me to have a road bike, plus aero is really comfortable for me.

Like I said, carbon doesn't make you fast...but then again, neither do race wheels. You'd be amazed at the number of people who had hawt tri bikes and disk wheels and carbon wheels that I passed at IMFL with my road bike.

Whether you ride aluminum or carbon or steel or titanium, it's all about the engine.
MacMadame
on 7/10/09 7:34 am - Northern, CA
I already have tiagra components.

You can put aero bars on a road bike. I'm thinking about doing that as well.

But until I can afford an all carbon bike, I'm not getting a new one.

DANCBJAMMIN
on 7/8/09 11:31 am - Fort Worth, TX
I ride Felt B16 and love  it
Your Friend In Health & Sport,

Dan Benintendi - OH Support Group Leader
www.trimywill.com 
www.swimfromobesity.com
www.trimywill.blogspot.com
Support Group: www.obesityhelp.com/group/Post_Op_PRs/

saxman007
on 7/8/09 1:08 pm - Port Huron, MI
 Here's a great review of Dan's B-16:  www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/FeltB16-2009.shtml  
There's a number of other review on this site (and it's where I actually got my bike from).  With the state of the economy the bike lists for $2299 and you can probably get it close to $2000.  And having an aluminum road bike and a carbon tri bike I'll tell you that carbon is worth the extra $500-700.
 I'm on a B-12 60 cm frame and am also 6'4 but only wear 34" inseam pants (however that translates into cm).  It fits great and depending on what the bike shops tell you it just may be the best fitting bike in your list.  I'm gonna assume that your 3 choices aren't at one shop since Trek's tend to be a pretty closed market (which is why you don't see nearly as many as I think you would) and at least in the Michigan area there's not many Trek dealers that can really fit a tri-bike.
Congrats on the potential new purchase -- always an exciting time.

kypdurran
on 7/9/09 5:08 am - Baton Rouge, LA
Darrell I ride a Trek Equinox TTX 9.9 and I love it.  
Most Active